General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Parts Stock Level

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Parts Stock Level

Is it just me (& my local dealer) or has anyone else noticed the dealer parts stock level dropping? I went to my local dealer and asked for the adapter that plugs into the accessory port under the seat. Parts guy says it will be a three week minimum back order. OK, so what about an oil temperature gauge kit? Two or three weeks again, perhaps on hand at the end of the month or the first week of June. Back when I sold parts our belief was that you could not do any business from an empty wagon.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

"Just-in-Time" inventory as a means of cutting overhead expenses has been around for a while, and it's finally hit the world of HD Dealerships.

They seem to stock only the basics and items for Service Department needs.

Guess you can't blame them for not stocking slow moving items, but a 2-3 week wait seems unreasonable.

Dearlership I frequent gets parts I order in a week or less, although if it's an accessory I plan on on installing myself I usually order through Zanotti.

Sammi

Last edited by Sammi; 05-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
riskyfool
Cruiser

Every time I go to my dealer I am AMAZED that they have always had what I came for. Even the small stuff that I would think they would have to order. I needed a new ignition harness, they had it. I lost a spacer on my front forks, they had it. I lost a retention pin for the lifters (I guess I lose alot of things!), they had it. When I wanted the new S.E. cam plate and oil pump, they had it.

I've got no complaints in the parts department of my local area dealer.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

I order most things from Zanotti's and lately they seem to be backing up behind H-D's new "Just in Time" inventory change. Oh well, as long as the correct parts finally arrive I'm not going to complain too loud.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
"Just-in-Time" inventory as a means of cutting overhead expenses has been around for a while, and it's finally hit the world of HD Dealerships.
Been that way for many, many years out here in the boonies, plenty of chrome bolt ons in stock, but minimal hard parts.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Screw 'em then. If they don't have the parts, especially normal ****, then don't do business with them. This is my philosophy as this **** has pissed me off in the past more than once.

Listen, in this day and age of the internet, anyone can order anything at anytime, including HD OEM parts, and have it at their house in a timely manner. There is no more of this, "We can order it." bullshit. Those days are OVER, for any product, not just HD parts.

My buddy has been currently waiting for one freakin' left side mirror, one freakin' mirror, for over a month now from his local HD shop (I know the shop well, I used to live there). He's livid, and I don't blame him. He's already paid for it, and he's trying to be cool about it, but the fact is, he could have ordered it from any other HD dealer or J&P (who, btw, are authorized to sell HD stuff now).

Old 05-17-2010, 05:03 PM
bigstevex4
Tourer

I run service and parts at one of our smaller branches not bikes heavy eguipment the economy sucks all parts stocks are way down and are going to stay that way just buisness got a guy today mad as hell because we dont have a belt personly i would have a sparefor my machines we .havnt sold one for that old loader in 2 years. the last i heard we have over 5 hundred thousand part # in our syestem can,t stock it all.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Route66rider
Is it just me (& my local dealer) or has anyone else noticed the dealer parts stock level dropping? I went to my local dealer and asked for the adapter that plugs into the accessory port under the seat. Parts guy says it will be a three week minimum back order. OK, so what about an oil temperature gauge kit? Two or three weeks again, perhaps on hand at the end of the month or the first week of June. Back when I sold parts our belief was that you could not do any business from an empty wagon.
man, it's too bad there isnt a way for you to order parts on the interw3bz and skipping the dealership entirely...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Route66rider
Harley is closing down a lot of dealers. I suspect the owners may be thinning their inventory so they don't get stuck. I've seen it happen in the Auto industry. At a dealership where I worked rumors were circulating that our place was on the chopping block. The parts dept stopped stocking common items and wouldn't order parts we needed.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your bike is over 10yrs old it will get worse,some parts will become obsolete !!!

Quick Reply: Dealer Parts Stock Level