General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Parts Stock Level

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I buy just about every OEM part I need from Zanotti's. With their discount I still get the OEM parts cheaper than the "local" dealership -- even with Zanottis shipping costs. My "local" dealership is a PITA 35 mile drive from where I live -- and there is NO discount on parts. But even Zanotti's is having trouble getting parts -- my last three orders contained some back-order items.

I either look the part number up on the H-D USA site or look the part number up in my parts manual, then go to the Zanotti site and do a part number lookup. It's easy and convenient.

Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 05-18-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still like genuine Harley parts for most stock parts. If I need a billet frame clamp or some kind of bracket I usually check Ol' e-bay first then the local Indy. If he's in one of his bad moods (which is reflective of that days price on parts) I'll just order the part online unless I need it right away. Eastern Performance in Maryland is superfast with shipping. The part is there within two days to my door-step.

I used to deal with an Indy in Trenton NJ, I got tired of his BS. He'd give you one price then change it when the part came in. I needed to order a few S&S carb parts and he said he couldn't get them until he had like $1,000 in orders because of their minimum order policy. The final straw was in 2003 when I ordered a BDL Evo "kick-start only" belt drive. I gave him $600 to order it, days, weeks then months passed and he kept telling me it was back-ordered. I checked another place and they called Custom Chrome (same place he supposedly ordered it from). They had 7 of them sitting on a shelf. I could have it the next day. I went back and told him he could call his supplier and get me the part or refund my money. I had the belt drive the next day, I think what really happened is he spent the deposit money on something else. He was always complaining how he was barely getting by.

Back to the original post, It does get me irritated when the dealer doesn't have something like wheel bearing seals in stock. And then the parts guy says "We can order it for Ya", Yeah, So can I. I can order it myself from a parts outlet and have it delivered right to my house. But on the bright side, I get to eat their donuts and drink coffee when I go to the dealer. And the girls at the counter are really friendly and sure pleasant to look at. So I guess it isn't all bad.

Last edited by BikerV; 05-19-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Here in Marina del Rey we have a giant Harley dealer w/ a huge showroom. But they did not have even one FF helmet to fit me; same with the HD insulated gauntlet gloves.

You can't sell that which you don't have.
I was just going to say Bartel's almost always had all the strange bike parts I need. They are my local dealer as well. I never have tried to buy a helmet there. When it comes to FF helemts, I would buy an Arai or Shoei long before I bought what they have at the Harley dealer. Comfort and good airflow, light as a feather.

Drew

Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup,many years ago asked why.The managers says to me,they study inventories to see whats moving or not.Things that are not moving are removed from the shelves,makes sense to me.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Went in to buy a simple battery the other day,Harley did not have any.Good thing,found out the indy right down from them has got a more powerful battery with a two year warranty for a little more money!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have noticed that. This spring my buddy hit the dealer 3 different times for an oil filter and they were out. I picked him one up when I stopped in there and asked the parts guy about it. He stated that the were having trouble getting parts from HD.