General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license test

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010 | 03:41 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

The test will ask you to do things that wouldn't normally do on a motorcycle. It's not hard but there are tight figure eights, emergency stopping in a declining radius turns, etc. My test was the final of the MSF course and we had a good amount of practice on each excercise prior to testing. Had I attempted those things cold I likely would have failed. Go down to where they conduct the tests and watch those being tested. If it's in an open lot go down on a weekend and practice the moves.

Old 05-18-2010 | 03:44 PM
bigstevex4
Tourer

Got my car licence at 810 am july 30 1974 my 16th birthday and my bike licence at 1/2 hour later on a 750 honda with a vetter fairing. seemed like apiece of cake. but that was along time ago.

Old 05-18-2010 | 03:45 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Mine was, "ok, go down the street and back". The guy said, "I know you can ride the thing or it wouldn't be here in the parking lot". lol

Old 05-18-2010 | 03:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member

When i got mine, U just paid $5.00 more and they added the MC endorsement with only the written test...I've keep it every since then. ""Oh Yeah"", that was in 1965...

Old 05-18-2010 | 04:27 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

I've always thought that the DMV tests were rather useless. How many times in your riding career have you had to do a tight figure 8 or a slow corner without touching your foot down? I'll go along with starting and stopping and emergency stops and even a riding test out on the streets but aside from an occasional U turn I don't recall ever having to do the things they test you on. In the real world if you're required to be riding slow in traffic or something what difference does it make if you have to put your foot down once in awhile? The alternative is probably falling over. I enjoyed the advanced rider MSF course simply because it was fun to do the things that were taught and I picked up a couple of pointers the are useful in day to day riding. I think the tests would be much more meaningful if you went out with a couple of motor cops for a ride around town through traffic and an every day riding environment.

Old 05-19-2010 | 02:29 AM
crawly
|
Advanced

Not sure how other states are, but in Ohio, if you take the MSF course and pass, the riding portion of the actual test is waived so I'd only need to take the written portion of the test, which is multiple choice anyways.
I went and checked the lot this evening at the DMV and it's marked for the test really well. I think I'll swing by on a weekend when they're not there, just in case someone gives me any grief, and do some practicing.

Originally Posted by soundman
Here's a little tip. Go to a parking lot and practice doing figure 8's and u-turns...and as you're doing them, keep the clutch in the friction zone and at the same time lightly drag the REAR brake. This will give you way more control of the bike at slow speed. It is a technique taught in the Ride Like A Pro videos. As long as you keep some power going to the rear wheel and apply light rear brake, the bike will stay up and it will allow you to make really tight circles.
good info. I've been doing this technique for awhile, but honestly, never realize I'm doing it.

Old 05-19-2010 | 03:28 AM
stano
Intermediate

I took my riding endorsement test in NMexico after a one week 3k mile ride to California and back. Everything on the test course I encountered ten times over while on that ride. I guess the ride was like boot camp for riding. A year later after I left a brewery after having a couple of 'Red Ale' kick *** beers I was pulled over for rolling 15 miles over the speed limit. A police officer pulled me over for speeding and I was gone to jail, I just I knew it. The officer gave me a break because of the endorsement. Pays off. I'll stick with the IPA next time. Ride Safe! Ride a lot and get the endorsement! By the way, the DMV official at the test course said it was easier to pass if you borrowed a smaller bike. I took it on my Deluxe....85% passing. Yeah, I put my foot down on a turn.....stop.