General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license test

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010 | 09:03 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member

What is the worst thing that can happen.. you have to take it again ? Be like that sneaker company,,,>> Just Do It...

Old 05-18-2010 | 09:56 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

Around me you can go down to the testing place and practice at night or on weekends. I did that and everyone else I know did that and passed. I had my temps for only 1 month and passed the test here in Oh first try with points to spare. Just relax, be calm and you will get it. just remember it's not worth dropping your bike to try to pass the test. What I mean is if you think you are going to drop the bike then put your foot down and take the points or fail-you can always try again.

Old 05-18-2010 | 11:11 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

in all honesty most places are fairly good. my test consisted of started the bike pulling out of the lot crossign the street and turning around and going back to park in the lottoo kmore tiem to start the biek then it did to actully go throug hthe test
Coyote, you seem to be a nice guy. But do you ever actually read what you write before you push that "submit reply" button?

Shakey

Old 05-18-2010 | 11:22 AM
06flstf
Tourer

I passed the ohio test on my HD fatboy on my third attempt. First two I seriously over thought the test. You can make minor mistakes and still pass the test. If you hit a cone or put your foot down once / maybe twice you can still pass if you ace the rest of the test. The cones on a full size cruiser was a challenge. I thought I had practiced enough but learned you can never practice too much. The OHP officer that gave the test said she had only seen on person ace the entire test on a full size bike.

Old 05-18-2010 | 11:37 AM
crawly
|
Advanced

Well, I checked with the DMV and was able to get one of the two last seats available for the training program. That sits fine with me since it will give me some extra time to cruise around town. I'm thinking this will probably be the best idea since I'll probably learn some useful information in the 16 hour course anyways.

Old 05-18-2010 | 11:40 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by crawly
Ok, so I've been riding around on my permit since last September. I feel pretty comfortable on the bike and need to go and take my test for my license. I guess I'm sort of psyching myself out about it.

I see a lot of idiot riders around the area so the test can't be that hard. I guess I'm looking for some moral support lol.
Here's a little tip. Go to a parking lot and practice doing figure 8's and u-turns...and as you're doing them, keep the clutch in the friction zone and at the same time lightly drag the REAR brake. This will give you way more control of the bike at slow speed. It is a technique taught in the Ride Like A Pro videos. As long as you keep some power going to the rear wheel and apply light rear brake, the bike will stay up and it will allow you to make really tight circles.

Old 05-18-2010 | 12:44 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

When I took my riding test in Tennesse the instructor told me to just ride around the DMV building and she would watch me. Nothing to it.

Old 05-18-2010 | 12:53 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Took mine on my Ultra. The only problem was that the test ground was on a hill so the offset cone weave was interesting going one way. The examiner said, now you can miss one cone and still pass. The one I was having trouble with I just skipped and passed the test with only one negative mark. I know others have said to get a small bike but go take it on what you ride. If you can't handle it well enough to pass the test, then you need some more experience. I know others don't share that view but the jmportant thing is for you to be ableto handle the bikenot just get the endorsement. Riding will be moew fun when you don't have to fear U turns or slow speeds.

Good luck

Bub

Old 05-18-2010 | 02:44 PM
n2thecraft
Advanced

Originally Posted by clicker01
Don't know where you're from, but some states (like California) exempt you from the DMV rider's test, for MSF graduates; maybe yours does- and in addition, the collateral benefits are many.
Ditto in Washington state. I never had a license here in the states but been riding for years in Europe. The course was totally full of super green riders, and it was geared for someone who has never been on a bike before, but I still had fun and learned some stuff.

Old 05-18-2010 | 03:26 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Haven't a clue what the test will be, but my advice is to just get on your scoot and drive it like you usually do. If there is a pre-planned route, consider it a trip to the supermarket or something, and going home. Don't sweat it.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: license test