General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license test

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010 | 11:08 PM
Supercell68
Intermediate

Originally Posted by piasspj
The MSF courses are about the best way to get licensed these days. Cheap enough and good training.
That's how I got my license. There's a lot of good info in there. Still taking it in slow steps myself out there because I am new to this.

Old 05-18-2010 | 12:01 AM
BB4xl
Road Master

The test in Ohio is all slow and curves. My OL took it a few years back on a Rebel at MSF. You may be able to ride on roads, but if you cannot control the bike going slow you don't pass. I don't know if it is the same but they had 20' or so feet set up with small cone about a foot apart. They would time you. I forget the time but it was a long time to go 20' straight. Feet had to be on pegs. Good Luck.

Old 05-18-2010 | 12:44 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member

Missouri consists of navigating cones, stops starts, slow riding with balance..'
I watched 3 guys fail it on cruisers before i took the test, i took it on my brothers crotch rocket and zipped right through it..borrow a sport bike, ride it around the block a few times then go take the test, and do know where everything is on the handlebars.

Old 05-18-2010 | 01:42 AM
Gadgetguru
6th Gear

Iowa requires a skills test, basically riding around some cones and preforming some low speed maneuvers. Our local DMV office has the course marked out in their parking lot. I was able to practice on the same course I took the test on. Maybe your local office has the same. Might be worth looking into.

Old 05-18-2010 | 01:44 AM
crawly
|
Advanced

Sorry I didn't have my location up guys and gals.
thanks for all the info and responses. When I got my permit, they gave me a list of the tests that will be part of the riding course. i.e. the maneuvers that will need to be done. I'll see if I can scan it tomorrow afternoon and post it up. Doesn't look too bad. I'm overthinking the slow stuff. I've been riding for about 4 1/2 months now and the bike feels great.
I'm going to be out by the DMV tomorrow, I'll drive by and see if the parking lot is marked for the course....and see if I can do some practicing there after hours one evening.

Old 05-18-2010 | 03:15 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

I took the test on my old V Star 650 before I got the Harley. I owned it for about a week before I took the test and passed everything, but the the cones. It's not that hard, you'll be fine.

Old 05-18-2010 | 06:00 AM
stovetop0844
Cruiser

I'm sure you will do fine, especially if you've been getting a decent amount of experience with your permit. The difficulty depends on your state, though. I mean hell, my wife just passed Colorado's motorcycle license test...

Old 05-18-2010 | 06:32 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

When I took the test in Michigan back in 1993 it was an actual course that required you to demonstrate actual skills.

I now live in Virginia and they use the same test...I the course is becoming standard in a lot of states.

Also depending on state you may be required to bring a motorcycle that is registered in your name.

Taking the MSF course is the way to go. here in VA if you have passed the course then you are exempt from the DMV riding test as the they gave you one in the MSF course.

Your states requirements should be online...do a search.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2010 | 07:34 AM
crawly
|
Advanced

taking the MSF course is an option, but they only do it here in the county once a year and its really hard to get into. I tried getting in this time but the class was full. I was told they might have another class in the fall, but if not, it wouldn't be till next spring....but I agree, the course would be worth it.

Old 05-18-2010 | 07:46 AM
jackcornman
Stage III

The ohio sklls test is 4 parts.The following link will give you a course layout with dimensions for the ohio skills test.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...torcycle-test/

Quick Reply: license test