General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license test

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010 | 04:13 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior

If you can control the bike,you will be fine...
It's not like you have to parallel park or anything...

Old 05-17-2010 | 04:21 PM
1320go
Cruiser
Smile tests

I dont think you can go by the answers on this post because every state has a differant test.The test I took was very hard for a big bike,but would have been very easy on a smaller one.Not trying to worry you but if I had to do it over I would try to barrow a small bike from a friend.

Old 05-17-2010 | 04:28 PM
Blargh
Road Captain

i agree with 1320go ... NC's test was (at least used to be) fairly challenging, did it on a 750 sportbike wouldn't want to try it on a bagger etc. Regardless, practice low speed turns (uturns, figure 8's etc as tight as you can get them) and using friction zone for low speed riding with feet up and you'll have it covered (eyes up, head up, look where you want to go type MSF stuff). good luck and git 'er done

Old 05-17-2010 | 05:55 PM
black dogz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by freddyttt
do yourself a favor depending on where you live and rent a Scooter type bike(around 75.00). it makes the test a breeze.

here is where i went.

http://www.tbirdcycle.com/

google scooter rental for drivers test and your area.

good luck-
If you're going to go that route, be sure to check your state's licensing requirements before you rent a scooter for your test. Here in IL, testing on the 80cc scooter shown in the link above will only get you an L endorsement which limits you to less than 150cc.

That would dash any Harley hopes.

Old 05-17-2010 | 05:55 PM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

the written test is nothing. when i took the driving test they in Carlsbad they had a set of cones and a circle next to two cement walls that you had to navigate without putting a foot on the ground. I wish I had taken a much smaller bike for the riding test. the guy was in a good mood and gave me some pointers but the guy ahead of me failed.

if I can pass you, you definitely can

Lisa

Old 05-17-2010 | 07:11 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Don't know where you're from, but some states (like California) exempt you from the DMV rider's test, for MSF graduates; maybe yours does- and in addition, the collateral benefits are many.

Old 05-17-2010 | 07:27 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Cavemen pass the motorcycle license test all of the time. .......It can't be all that difficult.

Old 05-17-2010 | 08:38 PM
soundman
Road Captain

Personally, I believe if you can't pass the test on your own bike, you shouldn't get your endorsement. I hear all these people complain about how hard it is, but if you really know how to properly handle your bike, it would be a breeze. I could drag the floorboards on my Ultra doing u-turns and figure 8's with a passenger after only riding for 3 months. I learned the proper clutch/rear brake, and head and eyes techniques from the RLAP course and became the 'Boss of my Hoss'. I'm no expert, but if I can do it after only 3 months, I'm sure about anyone could. Not trying to start a pissing match...but having to pass a test on a smaller bike doesn't help you in the long run.

Old 05-17-2010 | 09:06 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Took my motorcycle riding test on a stretched 1949 hardtail panhead chopper.

The complete test involved riding to one end of a parking lot, turning around a cone without touching a foot to the ground, and then riding back to the starting point.

Of course this was a few years ago; Wilmington, Delaware, 1970...

Had a motorcycle endorsement ever since, so I've never had to take any other type of riding test on a bike.

Old 05-17-2010 | 09:20 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

The MSF courses are about the best way to get licensed these days. Cheap enough and good training.
If you don't have the time and just want to get the license. Practice the slow speed stuff. Open parking lots doing U turns in less than 2 spaces wide and Figure 8s within 4 spaces. Also practice stopping quick from 25-30 MPH, swerving at around 20MPH, Smooth stop with your front tire on a specific spot.
I've taken several people to the closest DMV lots in the evening or on a Sunday and practiced on their course. Don't be surprised if someone tells you your not supposed to do it (usually it'll be a local busy body). Never had the police stop us (yes they did drive by). Did have one lady that worked at the DMV tell my brother he couldn't practice (we were there long before they opened). When they opened we went inside (first in line). The manager then told my brother to go out and practice if he wanted to. He took care of several other customers (plate renewals) and came out about 20 minutes later to give the test.

Quick Reply: license test