General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000 mi service

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Noonish
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5000 mi service

New HD owner here with dumb question. I recently bought 07 fxstc, now has about 7700 mi on it. All seems to be ok (to me) with it, but I want to take it to dealer for service (waste of $ I know) but I would feel better it they did first service/check it out. I dont have time/tools/want to do it myself. Local trusted dealer wants about $340 all syn for 5000k service. Should I get that, early 10k service, or other? I will be a while before I have 10k on it, not to many mi per year. Unless anybody out there can give me the name of indy in St. Louis. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Do the 5,000.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just get the 5000 mile service now.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a dumb question at all. That's a fair price. Using dealer service is a controversial issue. There are strong opinions in both camps and anecdotal stories to accompany them. My opinion...I think its a good plan to let the dealer do at least one service or periodically let them work on your bike. Since you have a new ride with a few miles, I agree its a good idea to let someone do a service on it to check it all out.

You're asking about choice A: 5K service or B: 10K service. I'll suggest choice C as an option: Just an oil change with once over for everything. They'll check over the bike and make sure its operating ok. Likely they will catch any major 5K problems. Plus you said it'll be a while before you get to 10K so no real advantage to doing that one early.

Here's my rationale. I do 90% of my own maintenance. I have a real good idea how my bikes are running and if there are issues. But I also see the value in letting professionals get a look at the bikes now and again. They see bikes everyday and might notice something I'll miss. They know the trends and particular issues with different models; likely they don't advertise all of them. Plus it's nice to let someone else do the work once in a while.

I'm not convinced dealers are the only good shops though. You mentioned looking for an indy as well. I used a great indy mech in CA. Haven't found one since I moved back East. Whther you go HD dealer or indy, find someone you trust and use them as you need them.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with bensonjv. Not much to a 5000mi. serv. Explain your situation and have them give it the once over.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:47 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bensonjv
Not a dumb question at all. That's a fair price. Using dealer service is a controversial issue. There are strong opinions in both camps and anecdotal stories to accompany them. My opinion...I think its a good plan to let the dealer do at least one service or periodically let them work on your bike. Since you have a new ride with a few miles, I agree its a good idea to let someone do a service on it to check it all out.

You're asking about choice A: 5K service or B: 10K service. I'll suggest choice C as an option: Just an oil change with once over for everything. They'll check over the bike and make sure its operating ok. Likely they will catch any major 5K problems. Plus you said it'll be a while before you get to 10K so no real advantage to doing that one early.

Here's my rationale. I do 90% of my own maintenance. I have a real good idea how my bikes are running and if there are issues. But I also see the value in letting professionals get a look at the bikes now and again. They see bikes everyday and might notice something I'll miss. They know the trends and particular issues with different models; likely they don't advertise all of them. Plus it's nice to let someone else do the work once in a while.

I'm not convinced dealers are the only good shops though. You mentioned looking for an indy as well. I used a great indy mech in CA. Haven't found one since I moved back East. Whther you go HD dealer or indy, find someone you trust and use them as you need them.
Great post.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:52 PM
dcobra23
Tourer

How about this! Last year I bought an 05 FLHT with 7800 miles on it from a dealer. I didn't get to ride it much for the first 2 weeks so there she sat. I received it with full tank of gas so I eventually went through that in a no time at all and when I went to fuel it up and I checked the oil as usual and it was a quart and a half low on oil and the oil was dirty as hell. I went back to the dealer ands yadda yadda you know the drill. F__K the dealer! I have a fully certified shop right here by me who is dyno equiped and tells you the truth. Stay away from the stealer........

My 2 cents......

Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Bikenator
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcobra23
How about this! Last year I bought an 05 FLHT with 7800 miles on it from a dealer. I didn't get to ride it much for the first 2 weeks so there she sat. I received it with full tank of gas so I eventually went through that in a no time at all and when I went to fuel it up and I checked the oil as usual and it was a quart and a half low on oil and the oil was dirty as hell. I went back to the dealer ands yadda yadda you know the drill. F__K the dealer! I have a fully certified shop right here by me who is dyno equiped and tells you the truth. Stay away from the stealer........

My 2 cents......
Welcome to New Yawk! Exactly WTF did you expect? Did you not check the erl B4 buying the Bike? You don't ask, you don't get...shame on you.
To dcobra 23: I would definitely let a good dealer or Indy do a 10k check...steering head bearings need re-torquing, clutch adjustment at the clutch, belt tension plus erl and fitler.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

benson, $340 is a fair price? to me it isn't. i don't care if it's the going rate, it's too much.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
benson, $340 is a fair price? to me it isn't. i don't care if it's the going rate, it's too much.
Yeah, that's my thinking too. It takes MAYBE $75.00 worth of oil and filter at MY cost, to do the 5K service. I would much rather save my money to pay the shop guys for a job more difficult, that I CAN'T DO, at later time.

Last edited by will2002; 05-17-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 5000 mi service