General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Courtesy - LEO ahead

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Going through far Eastern Alabama on I-20, if ya tapped the top of your head/helmet everytime ya saw a cop, you would knock your dammet head off!
I know exactly the spot you are talking about. Heading East you come a long hill then it flattens out for about half a mile. Usually 7 or 8 highway patrol officers there clocking yah on both sides.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
really not worth trying to explain everything that's wrong and confused with your posts at this point, i suggest you start from the beginning, read every post, and then sleep on it. in the morning you may get it.
I gotta agree........except it's you that needs to sleep on it.......

Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

To be honest, I didn't know of the tap of the helmet to warn of a speed trap.

I wave to every biker, whether on a scooter, rice burner or HD. No matter the race, or whatever, I wave, just a respect thing to me.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:55 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxer 6
What ever happened to oncoming traffic giving a quick flash or bikers tapping the top of their helmets letting you know there is a leo hiding in the bushes. I had a cager (that's right cager) flash the high beams at me today to find a leo 6 miles up the road in the bushes. Meantime the half dozen or so bikers that passed me barely waved. What's up with that? When I was a kid everyone flashed, that's just what you did. I guess it's all about me these days. It's too bad.
maybe he was a biker,when i am in my cage i always flash

Old 05-17-2010, 12:34 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by babalu
today i was passing a group when i was by myself the first dude waves so i put my hand down, the other two wave the last guy sits on his spanking new dyna with signature harly scowl and nothing, too much of a hardass to wave, so i turn the wave into a bird, that got his attention...

i always try to warn people of cops coming and reciprocate a wave. what kind of a**hole doesn't wave back when someone waves at them?
C'mon....by your own account......
#1 waves, you wave back,
#2 & #3 wave, you wave back again....
#4 doesn't reciprocate (he didn't start 'The Wave' to begin with), you cop an attitude ('cuz you wanted to be recognized as the nice guy/poser you are) and YOU end up flipping #4 the bird??????
What did he do to you except not acknowledge your existence?

What's wrong with this picture?

Clowns to the left of me , jokers to the right..........

Last edited by silvrbill; 05-17-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
SVTNate
Cruiser

Everybody's got different hand signals for warning other bikers. Any time I get anything other than a wave, I make sure I'm going the speed limit and look for cops, debris in the road, an accident or heavy traffic ahead, etc. Sometimes I've gotten a helmet tap from bikers coming towards me and slowed down to find nothing of note up ahead, but maybe the cop took off, etc. I always tap my helmet to warn other bikes of cops up ahead or any sort of road condition I think could be dangerous for them. I know some guys will kick out a foot for road hazards, and tap the helmet for cops.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I used to let people know but after several years of driving trucks and seeing way too many accidents on the roads I started thinking about it and have developed a new philosophy regarding violating traffic laws.

I believe the laws are in place for a reason and that reason is safety. If anyone is breaking them then they deserve whatever they get.

The solution to a cop in the bushes is easy in my opinion. Don't speed or show your *** on the road and the cop in the bushes will stay right there in the bushes when you go by.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No issue in my area... I tap for speed and wave when I'm not pushing the bar and I receive the same from other riders. Life is good.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by clicker01
Life is good.

Beats the heck out of the alternative............
Life is short...dead is forever.........................

Ain't got time to waste wavin' at posers........
If they don't like it, I don't care...........

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.............

Last edited by silvrbill; 05-17-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:41 AM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's interesting how the initial question got completely dropped and ended up being a debate on intelligence, who's a bad-***, wave/don't wave, the chicken or the egg. Turned into a chest thumping debate. Funny, absolutely funny.

I think you two should take your sword fight out behind the barn.

Quick Reply: Courtesy - LEO ahead