General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Courtesy - LEO ahead

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Very good point T-Dub......It's probley better the LEO gets this guy before I do. Because it will be ME riding with his dead *** body in my trunk.
Huh? What planet are you guys coming from? This thread isn't about speeding or waving. It's about having the courtesy of letting other riders know where the LEO's are hanging out. Reckless and careless riding, yeh I agree....Let them have it.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:02 AM
Boxer 6
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I'm another oldtimer never heard of tapping, but I'd know what it meant if I saw someone do it. I flash trucks and bikes, unless they're stupid fast, then I let them get caught.
As for you law N' order dudes, scrooya. Half the roads I ride have speed limits FAAAAR below what my grandma can drive, let alone the skilled driver/riders. It's all about paying attention.

They did a survey on roads that had the speed limits raised. 85% of the people drove the same speed they did before, which would have been speeding, and most of the rest drove less than the new limits. It turned out that the 85% will drive according to the size and conditions of the road, not what the sign says, even if it allows more speed.
Low limits are just for revenue or expected future population, period.
100% agree!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We actually use the tap the top of the helmet for "I have to pee" The LEO sign is
hand over head with index finger pointing up rotating (kinda simulating the lights on top of the car I guess)

Old 05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxer 6
Huh? What planet are you guys coming from? This thread isn't about speeding or waving. It's about having the courtesy of letting other riders know where the LEO's are hanging out. Reckless and careless riding, yeh I agree....Let them have it.
I agree, warning others about speed traps ahead is something seldom done these days. Courtesy is a thing of the past. I think we have all seen this scenario before.....If you give a signal to indicate your intention to change lanes....the idiot in the lane your trying to merge into will speed up to keep you from getting in front of them....even in stop and go traffic. Some will even pace you trying to make you miss your exit....genuine courtesy. These days your lucky to get a signal at all. Now what I see is, what I call the "Oh please Mr. can you let me over signal" This signal occurs while stopped at an intersection and someone near you realizes they are in the wrong lane & either need to get into (or out of) a turning lane. This "Oh please Mr. can you let me over signal"....usually is accompanied by some eye contact and a frantic jesture of their intention. After you let them move over in front of you, they go down the road changing lanes with no signals....and most likely not looking either.

Tech23

Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Good post and all the more reason to ride as a target. Trucking in the NE taught me to do 3 signal flashes and move over, saying "I'm coming over" instead of "please let me in". But you obviously can't do that on a bike unless you're pointing a gun at their stupid heads.
Funny reminder: I saw this english video of a little ol'lady in the passenger seat that found an extra steering wheel in the back seat; was playing with it and when some guy pulled alongside her and her hubby, she looked at him with a mean look and spun the wheel as if she were driving the car into him - he slams on brakes and does a 360!
One day I was in my crewcab Silverado and this dodo in a 'vette doesn't want to let me over. I stayed where I was, but gave him a really mean mugface and slid my hands to the right on the wheel as if I were gonna ram him - he slammed on the binders and I moved over to his lane.
Hey, it really works!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I thought that what radar and lazer detectors were for..........NO?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Been Tapping since 1978.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

I never knew about tapping of the helmet, I've never seen it done.
I definitely flash my brights in my car or on the bike.
I've only had a few (not many) reciprocate.

I'm originally from Wis., but live in NH; I think it depends on were you live.
People out here are just way too distracted.
I commute 64 miles one way and I'm amazed on a daily basis how people just don't give a sh*t anymore. How lazy people are, never a blinker, can't stay between the lines, can't keep up BUT when you try to pass; now all of a sudden you close the gap.

I miss the days when people actually cared.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This post might be a bit on topic...so forgive me.
I don't warn of LEO's for all the reasons already stated....Possibility of alerting the bad guy...if they are breaking the law they deserve a ticket...I don't want a ticket for Obstructing justice...I just may be an a-----le.

BTW...I have been riding since God was in diapers and this is the first time I heard about the tap thing. I have seen it a few times, but thought the rider was just swattin' at a bug or sumpthin. I've always thought the palm down with a couple of pushes downward was the 'slow down' signal for either cop, accident or some other obstruction ahead.
Have a good day and ride safe.