General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 AM
zwide10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Issues

I bought an HD Half about 3 weeks ago. Tried it on in the shop, walked around for a while picking out other stuff, just to make sure it would fit. I even decided at one point that it was too small and tried on a Large, which was entirely too big.
Now, about 300 miles down the road, the helmet is trying to come off at highway speeds. I went back to the local and asked for a defective return and was denied based on the fact that the helmet 'just broke in'.

How in the hell does a helmet go from so tight it's pinching to coming off my head while riding? Also, why does HD not consider this a defective product??? I just hope the bike doesn't have the same problems.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

That's wind dribble. Anyone that has ever wore a half has experienced it.

It's the reason I went with a three quarter.

By the way. I have a Harley half helmet in the racing flag pattern I'll sell you cheap.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:08 AM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not defective, just like they said, it just broke in. People always find helmets too tight at the shop and buy too big for their actual head size. If it doesn't hurt at the shop, it's too big.

The foam inside will crush a little the more you wear a helmet and it will get bigger.

One solution now is to just wear a doo-rag under it or a baseball cap. On top of making the helmet fit better, you won't get sweat in the liner and you'll have something to cover helmet hair once you get where you're going.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Was this your first helmet? They alway change a little with when they break in. I have never had a half helmet but that sucks. I can imagine it would be annoying but I don't think it is defective.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
jcopel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KnightWRX
One solution now is to just wear a doo-rag under it or a baseball cap.
Yep - that works like a champ. My 3/4 that I bought 2 years ago is kinda loose now, but fits perfect if I have something on my head underneath. It is a Large and I just bought a Medium Half-helmet last month. They all seem to get a little looser over time.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:40 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had a helmet that I just wanted to wear because it was so comfortable.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're having trouble with Harley helmets, just wait until your bike is broken in.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
zwide10
Cruiser

Ya, the doorag seems to be helping fill the gap. I had a full face when I owned a race bike, those things stay on even if theyre two sizes too big. It seems that the "wind dribble" is exactly whats going on. It just bothered me a bit considering this was my first HH, I hadn't ever experienced this. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:29 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

been rideing bikes 50 years never had a helmet that fit perfect best one for me as far as fit is a gmax they size there helmets differently for some reason. was at the iron pony yesterday and tried on every brand they had.bought nothing,they were all uncomfortable,

Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Most "brands" of helments do not fit me . The only three I have found that I can use are Fulmer, Nolan, and Bell, and the cheep Fulmer has been the best, so far. The Harley helments do NOT work for me AT ALL!

Quick Reply: Helmet Issues