General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010 | 11:55 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior
Default Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets

I have been on a hunt for a new leather jacket... it appears that my old one has shrunk over the past few years. I have abnormally long arms and am having a very difficult time finding a jacket that fits me (if it fits in the body the sleeves are too short, and if it fits in the sleeves then the rest is too big). I have gone to ever shop in town with no luck.

I checked out the Harley jackets, but I don't want a scooter (euro) collar and I am not overly impressed with the HD selection given the price. I spoke with Gail at Schott NYC and we came to the conclusion that only a custom jacket (starting at $800) would work. Talked with Vanson and a few Vanson dealers, and again looks like only a custom order will work which will take quite a while as Vanson is running way behind currently, and there is an up-charge for custom jackets. Had ordered a Fox Creek but the jacket had multiple flaws which warranted a refund and now I don't feel comfortable risking another. So my last stop is Langlitz.

I have heard many great things about Langlitz, and spoke with them the other week (A+ customer service), and although I really didn't want to spend that much money, it looks like it might be my only option. Unfortunately the Langlitz website is pretty bad for pictures, so I was wondering if those who own Langlitz jackets can post some pics.

Thanks for the help.

...note... In no way am I saying one brand is better/worse than another (I know people are loyal to certain brands/makers). I am just looking to get a comfortable and good fitting jacket that will provide me with adequate protection. I am going to ride out to the other side of the state tomorrow (Michigan) and check out some Brooks leather jackets as well.

Last edited by gtrplyr; 05-14-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2010 | 12:06 AM
PNSHVL
Tourer

Here's a couple pictures of me wearing my Langlitz. I actually have two, one leather and one goat skin. You can't beat the quality or fit. I love mine and have had them for 20 years, of course I had to have them altered once. (Gained a few pounds over the years.)

Attached Thumbnails Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets-canby-ferry-1.jpg   Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets-canby-ferry-2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2010 | 01:15 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
I have been on a hunt for a new leather jacket... it appears that my old one has shrunk over the past few years. I have abnormally long arms and am having a very difficult time finding a jacket that fits me (if it fits in the body the sleeves are too short, and if it fits in the sleeves then the rest is too big). I have gone to ever shop in town with no luck.

I checked out the Harley jackets, but I don't want a scooter (euro) collar and I am not overly impressed with the HD selection given the price. I spoke with Gail at Schott NYC and we came to the conclusion that only a custom jacket (starting at $800) would work. Talked with Vanson and a few Vanson dealers, and again looks like only a custom order will work which will take quite a while as Vanson is running way behind currently, and there is an up-charge for custom jackets. Had ordered a Fox Creek but the jacket had multiple flaws which warranted a refund and now I don't feel comfortable risking another. So my last stop is Langlitz.

I have heard many great things about Langlitz, and spoke with them the other week (A+ customer service), and although I really didn't want to spend that much money, it looks like it might be my only option. Unfortunately the Langlitz website is pretty bad for pictures, so I was wondering if those who own Langlitz jackets can post some pics.

Thanks for the help.

...note... In no way am I saying one brand is better/worse than another (I know people are loyal to certain brands/makers). I am just looking to get a comfortable and good fitting jacket that will provide me with adequate protection. I am going to ride out to the other side of the state tomorrow (Michigan) and check out some Brooks leather jackets as well.
I too have what I call the "monkey arms body" I've never had a motorcycle jacket in the last 30 years that had long enough arms. Combine that with the fact that I've installed drag bars on my bikes since the mid '80's and you can visualize the sleeves on my jackets coming to about mid forearm. HD jackets DO NOT work; way too short in the arms. Brooks was just as bad. I recently bought a Schott Perfecto 118 or 618 (I can't remember which) and FINALLY have a jacket that fits pretty well. I wouldn't mind another inch in the sleeves, but it's way better than anything else that I've tried. If you get a chance to try one on, you should. I was very surprised how well one of their standard sized jackets fit.

Crazy

Old 05-15-2010 | 08:41 PM
gtrplyr
|
Road Warrior

Bump for pics.

Old 05-15-2010 | 10:47 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Default Langlitz

You won't be disappointed, you've already experienced their A+ customer service, it matches their jackets. I have the padded pocket Columbia. Here are a few pictures. If you want to see something in particular, let me know and I'll get a photo of it.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets-langlitz-1.jpg   Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets-langlitz-2.jpg   Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets-langlitz-3.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010 | 09:27 AM
dataman2
Advanced

Can't speak to the pants but the wife and I each have a Langlitz jacket and vest (actually , I have two – one is cow leather and the other is goat). Absolutely the best quality. I do have a riding buddy who has a pair of the pants and he loves them.

Langlitz apparel is expensive but well worth it because of the quality. Their customer service it the best also.

Old 05-16-2010 | 10:07 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Custom is custom. You get what you pay for, since you're paying for what you need.

I am in between regular and Tall sizing, and I hate short jackets. I can get by with Tall sizes, but they are either too tall or then the sleeves are way too long. And for the upcharge that many brands have for tall sizes (Vanson, HD, Fox Creek, etc.)......I'm within spittin' distance of a custom.

Langlitz is on the list.

I'd like hearing more about the differences between the goatskin and leather from you guys.

Old 05-16-2010 | 12:01 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

Originally Posted by faber
Custom is custom. You get what you pay for, since you're paying for what you need.

I am in between regular and Tall sizing, and I hate short jackets. I can get by with Tall sizes, but they are either too tall or then the sleeves are way too long. And for the upcharge that many brands have for tall sizes (Vanson, HD, Fox Creek, etc.)......I'm within spittin' distance of a custom.

Langlitz is on the list.

I'd like hearing more about the differences between the goatskin and leather from you guys.
The difference between the goat and cow leather is cost,goat is more expensive but is much softer and pliable. I wear my goat in the summer and cow in the winter. My cow is a much thicker or heavier leather. I also have the cow leather pants which are just as well made as the jackets. I just don't think you can go wrong with Langlitz.

Old 05-16-2010 | 01:05 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member

As John at Langlitz explained it to me, the key differences are that the goat is lighter than the cow and much easier to break in. He also said that it's more water repellant. I'd never had a goatskin jacket before and was a little leery, I thought that it would be a pebble-grain leather, it's not, at least with Langlitz. Jeff spent about 30 minutes on the phone patiently answering what I'm sure to him were pretty routine questions. I realize that's kinda what he's paid to do, but there was never the hint of frustration in his voice. I live in S. Texas and it gets just a tad warm here in the Summer so leather type was a major concern. Based on all the info that I gave him, he said that he thought goat was the best option for me. He said, "if you decide on goat and don't like it, send it back and we'll build you another one, no cost." How can you beat customer service like that?!?! As for how the goat feels, it's fantastic. It's still heavy as all get out, but doesn't feel like it when it's on. The sign of a custom made garment. In all fairness though, I rarely wear it when it's really hot. I'm going to do some experimenting with synthetic t-shirts this summer to see if they make a difference in the heat.

Old 05-16-2010 | 04:36 PM
dataman2
Advanced

My cow skin vest took some "breaking in" as it was pretty stiff. The goat skin felt "broken in" the first time I wore it. I'm using the cow skin mostly for riding and the goat skin for more formal occasions (well, sort of more formal).

Quick Reply: Looking for pics of Langlitz jackets