General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Wear the Flag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Wearing the same vest since 1970 (kept together by a younger sister). Patch with the peace symbol I got when I was in country; the other was the first one I got when I came home and started riding my pan.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:47 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by NewAge
There will only be two if you're cremated - therefore no coffin in between. If there is a coffin, then there will be six Marines. Just sayin.

I love the flag, i salute it whenever in uniform, but i also wear it proudly on my vest. To each his own i guess.
First off, I understand that my response is to an old posting but I just read the whole thread and thought that I might 'correct' what NewAge is saying.

I attended a PGR mission last summer at Arlington National Cemetery.
Rather than say anything I'll just post these pictures that I took while there.

I display American flags in my front yard 24/7 (with a light on them at night). We have an address plaque in the front yard with an American flag in the center of it (with a light on it at night). I wear a flag patch over my heart on my vest.

Last edited by Deucedog; 02-02-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,311 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Yep!
On my helmet, my vest, and on my leather jacket.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have any patches on any of jackets (and my helmet is simply solid black), but I fly the American flag and the "Freedom Isn't Free" flag on the back of my bike. The flag poles are mounted to the license plate. I also wear from time to time a t-shirt that has our flag on the front side. Does that count?

I love our flag. It's the most beautiful flag in the world.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 AM
Fozzy4325
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't wear it as I'm not from the USA but I do wear the Canadian flag on my cut as I'm Canadian. I also wore the Dutch flag when I lived in the Netherlands as it was part of colours and I have a tattoo with the Dutch flag in it. I for may years I wore the Union Jack on my shoulder as I was in the British Military.

Every country has supported me enough to a point where I am proud to were their flag on my arm or my back. But at the end of the day I am Canadian and have always flown that flag.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

I am Canadian. I have spent winters in the sunny south and love my US Friends. I respect your flag and when there I will display the US/Canadian friendship flag. As for my Canadian flags I do display them proudly.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:44 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A patch or tattoo with a representation of a flag on it isn't a flag. It's not subject to the strict etiquette of an actual flag.

Our flag represents freedom. That freedom is spelled out in the constitution. The right to free speech includes symbolic speech so the person that wears a flag upside down has the constitutional right to do that as offensive as it might be to others. (I'm assuming here that being as it would be sewn on it's not a distress signal) With that in mind, remember It's generally accepted among bikers that you don't put anything above a flag on your vest or jacket. Right or wrong, I've seen that cause more than one problem over the years.

A while back I had some self righteous "patriot" tell me the flag on my jacket was dirty and I should remove or replace it. It IS dirty. Just like everything else on my old leather. I explained the above to him and he was insistent that it WAS a flag. After asking how he kept the shiny new flag patch on his vest illuminated at night if it was in fact a flag, I thanked him for his opinion and moved on. I try to live and let live.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I usually don't notice if anyone has it on their helmet or vest, unless they had one like Peter Fonda had. But I've never had a flag on anything I wear. I do have a USMC patch on my vest and decal on my car.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's mine.

Attached Thumbnails Do You Wear the Flag?-imgp0385.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Adrian Thompson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flag on my vests over my heart, flag on the back of my helmets, and disabled veteran USMC plates on my bike.

Quick Reply: Do You Wear the Flag?