General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Wear the Flag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

On my vest over my heart. No patches above it.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:47 PM
busij44
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickies on my helmet!!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I do have a patch on my jacket. I don't get wearing the flag as fashion. Do-rags and t-shirts don't say patriotism to me, it says fashion choice.
The confederate flag I also don't get. Not because of whatever version of history I might believe. I just could not support any group of people who try (tried) to destroy the United States of America. The CSA attempted to disolve the "union" of states. I would not support that action now and I can't support those who did.
What I do support is your right to wear whatever the hell you want.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe I read this whole thread... like a book I couldn't put down. You can learn a lot about people through their posts on threads such as this.
Oh, right forearm tattoo, and up high on my club vest.
Looks like this might be something else that if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 AM
HOG CHIEF
Intermediate

Every time I ride the flag is proudly displayed. My helmet is a flag helmet, and the flag flys off the center of my tour pak everyday. It also flys at my home every day also, and of course lit at night. We all displayed flags after 9-11, and then about a year or so later they went back into peoples garages. Our soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen fight and die everyday to defend the freedoms we enjoy. The least we could do is honor them by displaying our flag. Always ride with respect.

Hog Chief

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Someone brought up "Flag Etiquette" and how they should be displayed on motorcycles. This is from the Indiana Legion Riders web site:

Flag Placement On Motorcycles
Flag Code Explained

US Flag Only

If only the US Flag is on your bike, it should either be at the center, or to its "marching right" - on the right side of the motorcycle to the rider's perspective when facing forward.

US Flag And One Other Flag Of Any Type

If the US Flag is on your bike with another, it should be to its "marching right" - on the right side of the motorcycle to the rider's perspective. If the other flag is that of another nation, it should be the same size and at the same height of the US Flag - NO flag should ever be displayed higher than the US Flag.

US Flag And More Than One Other Non-National Flag

If the US Flag is on your bike with several other non-national flags (POW/MIA, ALR, Eagles, Service Banners, etc.), it should be at center and higher than any of the other flags.

US Flag And More Than One Flag Including Those Of Other Nations

If the US Flag is displayed on your bike with those of any other nation, the flags should be same size and at the same height, with the US Flag to marching right (right side of the vehicle), and others arranged in alphabetical order to the left. Other flags should be arranged in order of decreasing importance - Nations first, states (in order of admittance) and territories second, military third (in order of establishment), and then any others. Again, no flag should fly higher than the US Flag, but the US Flag should be no higher than that of any other nations displayed.

Rationale

It’s argued that, since the small bike flags we use are all but invisible from the front (when mounted on the rear), the concept of "Flag's own right" should be used with the vantage from the rear of the bike. (This would place the Flag on the on left-hand, rear of your bike). This concept, unfortunately, overlooks a more applicable concept.

If you equate the motion of your bike with marching, and you equate traffic with a procession, another portion of the Flag Code becomes the obvious choice for display of the Flag alone, or
with another:

Rule 9: "The Flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags should be either on the marching right; that is, the Flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line."

The second portion of this rule does not work well with most motorcycles, since there usually is no means to mount the Flag in front (in the direction of travel) of the others if all flags are to be mounted at the rear of the bike. In this case, we rely on:

Rule 10: "The Flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs." Included in this would be POW/MIA flags and American Legion Riders flags.

Finally, if you are displaying another country's flag along with the US Flag, they both should be at the same height and the same size, and the US Flag should be displayed on the right side (again, marching right). This is basically Rule 11.

Rule 11: "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admission) and territories (Washington DC, Puerto Rico, etc.), Military (in order of establishment: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), then other."

Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Wicked Cricket
Banned

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
The flag should only be displayed upside down as a distress signal. If you displayed it that way because of Cheney why didn't you take action and display it properly when Obama took over? Do you still distressed? I am proud of both our previous and current president for different reasons. The most important part of my definition of patriotism is that it is a verb not a noun. Patriotism is best expressed through some type of service to our nation or communities. The community and country becomes better though our collective service. I express it by serving my nation for the last 21 years as a Green Beret. What is your definition?
At ease soldier...21 yr geen beret, I salute you and all in uniform who defend our rights. I actually have 31 yrs in for a major Defense Contractor., so I know how imporatnt your missions are to our freedom. Pretty evident from my response that I lean to the left, just wish the politicians worked together instead of acting like it's 2 seperate countries. BTW, flipped my flag over today...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked Cricket
At ease soldier...21 yr geen beret, I salute you and all in uniform who defend our rights. I actually have 31 yrs in for a major Defense Contractor., so I know how imporatnt your missions are to our freedom. Pretty evident from my response that I lean to the left, just wish the politicians worked together instead of acting like it's 2 seperate countries. BTW, flipped my flag over today...
Thanks for flipping it back Cricket... I salute you! And for the record, I see eye to eye with you in regards to the political nonsense. This country needs to pull itself back together. United we stand.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Bigman405
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking of putting this patch on my vest that I got. Proud Mexican American.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Four year old thread back from the dead.
I believe myself to simply be an American, regardless of my heritage.

Quick Reply: Do You Wear the Flag?