General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRC - OpED

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 AM
geo10
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRC - OpED

I've been riding most of my entire life (35+ years) and I've finally completed the Basic Riders Course.

My opinion is this.... I wish I would have taken it 20 years ago when I could have really used it instead of being self taught. The good news is that I found out that most of what do is the correct way..In any event I would recommend this class to anyone.

Have you taken the class or do you have any comments?

Pork

/

Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: BRC - OpED

Atleast you did it. My first time on a bike was when i took the course about 4 1/2 yrs ago,have'nt stopped since.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7312/9051E6A6430042A4A42A80B03D5F2A56.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7312/A6C3F945D332460DBA35C80D2B54BC37.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
llbandit
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the course a month or so ago. I needed it to get my license. There was no way I could have gotten two legal bikes and riders to the DMV for the driving part of the test so this helped me out a lot. Like you I found I was doing most things correctly, just never knew exactly why I was doing it. I enjoyed the course and picked up several things. I'm going to have my wife take it when she decides to get off the back of mine and get her own.
John

Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Got my Harley in March with very little to no experience and took the MSF BRC in April. Haven't looked back. I plan on taking the experienced course next year and then taking the police motor school sometime down the road (not to be a motorcop as we currently don't have any in our dept., but I just want the experience).

Old 08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

I took the class last November...I had ridden before that, but really wanted to learn EVERYTHING! I felt comfortable riding after taking the class and getting my license. When I took the class, it poured both Saturday and Sunday and they continued with the class....it helped break my fear of riding in the rain too! I plan to take the Advanced Riders Class as soon as the weather cools down...

Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Tin Gizel
Road Warrior

I took the MSF BRC class through Apex this past weekend. I had been riding for about 2 months prior to taking the class. Learned that for the most part I was doing everything right, but picked up some pointers to make riding easier (turn your head!!!) and feel more comfortable should i have to react to an emergency.

And the best part, now i have an endorsement on my license and no longer ride as an outlaw.

Calling the insurance company today to see how much I will save on my rates having completed the course.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Geo, if you really want to step up, take the experienced rider course as soon as you can. It will help you even further. (Speaking as a former MSF instructor)

Old 08-15-2006, 02:15 PM
geo10
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: whaap

Geo, if you really want to step up, take the experienced rider course as soon as you can. It will help you even further. (Speaking as a former MSF instructor)

whaap, Thanks for the affirmation. I've already started looking for the next available class :-).

I heard that the skills tracks are the same but 1.) Use our personal bikes 2.) Additional requirements such as the cone swerve using 1 hand.... true?

Pork

Old 08-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Took the BRC in March 05 when I resumed riding after 40 year hiatus and purchased an Electra Glide. I stopped counting or even trying to remember all of the incidents the skills and training I got from that course have kept me from being knocked down by a car or truck; or the riding conditions I could easily deal with.

Took the ERC this April and it was a great check-up on where my skills were and had I developed better or worse habits.

Requiring BRC for licensing interferes with Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection, much like mandatory seatbelt laws, child saftety seats, etc. do; but anyone I care about should, I pray, take the course before purchasing a bike.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:44 AM
PSO169
Road Master

I took the class prior to getting my Road King in 2002, I have never ridden a street bike before. My 2002 was my first bike. I was glad I took the class. I used several things that were taught that may have kept me on two wheels instead of sliding down the pavement.
Jeff

Quick Reply: BRC - OpED