General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Plug or Not To Plug???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
revzhawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Plug or Not To Plug???

Walked in my shop this morning to find my rear tire flat. Must have been those practice turns I was making in the back yard Monday.

Called a few guys and most of them say they won't plug a tire due to liability.

What's you guys thoughts? Does it hurt to plug a tire or do I need a new one every time I have a flat? Still got plenty of tread on this one.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have and will plug a tire and not give it a second thought but....does your RK have wire wheels? If so you have a tube, so just like any tire, patch or replace the tube and unless the hole in the tire is huge forget about it. Some people replace the tube and patch the tire from the inside.

BTW - How's Mom and Pop? Sore I bet.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM
revzhawg
Advanced

Mom and Dad are doing well. Thanks for asking. Mom really wasn't as sore as she thought she would be. Now they're dealing with the insurance company. Hopefully that works out. They're looking for a bike to rent for their trip seeing as they won't find out anything in time to replace the wrecked bike.

On the tire...my bike has aftermarket rims with a Metzeler ME 880 160/60 R18 on the rear. Just started shopping in case plugging appears to be the wrong move. Seems this tire is hard to find and isn't cheap! Plugging seems pretty appealing right about now.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

I ran over a nail with the rear tire, had 1000 miles on it. Had it plugged and installed a new tube to be safe and because they're cheap. Just make sure the inside of the tire is smooth after it's plugged. BTW, the tire lasted another 6K until it wore out.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:20 PM
soundman
Road Captain

A buddy of mine plugged the rear tire on his fatbob and never had a problem with it. Proof's in the pudding.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Bad JU Ju to ride with a plug on a bike....Have people done it..yes...do some do it....yes.....is your life worth more than 100-200 bucks......?

of course you won't remember that until god forbid the day the air rapidly escapes while your crusing and puts you in a wobble cause you didnt want to pay for a new tire.....

Will this "worse senerio" happen? Probably not......
Could you get a blow out on a brand new tire and wreck...sure you could....

Should you plug it or buy new.........>? Only you can really decide this...not us.<

Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,160 Likes on 6,705 Posts

Same here. I had a brand new back tire, about $175 by the time you get it mounted and balanced. I was getting sandblasted by an uncovered gravel truck, and took it momentarily up to 85 to pass him. When I pulled into the driveway 10 minutes later, the tire just flattened as soon as I stopped.

Took a screw out of my brand new tire and plugged it. Lasted another 12,000 miles.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He funny with those spoke wheels he can plug his tires any way. I have plug my tires for past 20 year never any problem with a plug on the bikes.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default tire

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Same here. I had a brand new back tire, about $175 by the time you get it mounted and balanced. I was getting sandblasted by an uncovered gravel truck, and took it momentarily up to 85 to pass him. When I pulled into the driveway 10 minutes later, the tire just flattened as soon as I stopped.

Took a screw out of my brand new tire and plugged it. Lasted another 12,000 miles.
Well that sucks.....you got a new tire and that flattened too! OMG...I have to give it to you that I'd probably plug it myself at that point....LOL

But being the moron I am...I'd get a third tire as soon as I could afford it.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a slow puncture on a rear tyre of a Softail once whilst on vacation - used a self tapping screw to fix it (which worked real well) However, I pushed it too long before changing the tyre out (actually around 3 days) and ended up with a blow-out in a long sweeping left hander. Ended up on the opposite carriageway and a 5 hour fix/replacement turnaround....dummy.

Quick Reply: To Plug or Not To Plug???