General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the hatin' on the V&H Fuelpak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK I'm trying to understand the point to your post???

Could it be you're trying to validate your purchase of the V&H? Or are you just letting everyone know of your updates?

FWIW - I have the PCIII USB and have been running it for 5 years and 40K miles with nary a hitch. Never have I had to "unhook" it to limp home. I have had it dyno'd twice since installation because of upgrades.

Admittedly I don't know a lot about V&H other than they make mufflers but I see no reason for your post other than to put down Dynojet and their PC's.

The few problems I have seen with PC's are people buying them and trying to download a map or buying them with a canned map and the map not working for their particular application. But hey, if you are happy with your purchase.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
OK I'm trying to understand the point to your post???

Could it be you're trying to validate your purchase of the V&H? Or are you just letting everyone know of your updates?

FWIW - I have the PCIII USB and have been running it for 5 years and 40K miles with nary a hitch. Never have I had to "unhook" it to limp home. I have had it dyno'd twice since installation because of upgrades.

Admittedly I don't know a lot about V&H other than they make mufflers but I see no reason for your post other than to put down Dynojet and their PC's.

The few problems I have seen with PC's are people buying them and trying to download a map or buying them with a canned map and the map not working for their particular application. But hey, if you are happy with your purchase.
I agree and they all have a purpose and different features. Buy what you need, if FuelPak works for you, great! If you need something different, then buy that. I'm currently running a Fuel Pak on my RK because all I did was change exhaust and intake, been running it for three years. Now I'm thinking cams and PC-V. If I had thought about the cams when I bought it, I probably would have started with the PC-V, but I didn't so I'll pay, but my Fuel Pak works fine for what it is made for, I'm just going to need more flexibility in the future.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

RoadKingRon1,

Don't need to validate any purchase I've made to anyone.

I didn't "knock" on other tuners except to say that I've read many posts about others having to limp home….if you haven't read the same posts, you don't read here much.

I'm sure with all tuners they will work for some bike set ups and not with others.
Probably just the nature of the beast.

One thing I did not know about the Fuelpak is……it's no good for cam swaps & other motor mods. Even though I have no plans for any motor work that is good info to know. Thanks!!

I didn't attempt to start any silly internet war on tuners……I just don't care that much…..

It just seemed to me that the Fuelpak takes a lot of crap around here, so I asked.

And there ya have it……….

Peace be with you and ride safe!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

people are down on FP's because they work decent for V&H pipes. but if you have different pipes, ac, motor upgrades, etc. you need something more adjustable than a FP. now if you could dyno tune a FP, it might be a great product. but as it is now, its very limited in its application. one good thing about both products is that it doesnt merry to the bike!

fuel packs are good at a few things, where as, power commanders are good at them all.

Last edited by shimmon; 05-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by frog13
I agree and they all have a purpose and different features. Buy what you need, if FuelPak works for you, great! If you need something different, then buy that. I'm currently running a Fuel Pak on my RK because all I did was change exhaust and intake, been running it for three years. Now I'm thinking cams and PC-V. If I had thought about the cams when I bought it, I probably would have started with the PC-V, but I didn't so I'll pay, but my Fuel Pak works fine for what it is made for, I'm just going to need more flexibility in the future.
Be sure to let us know how you like the PC V. It wasn't available years ago when I did mine. If the autotune works as advertised when my PCIII goes south, as some expect, the the PC V will be my next addition.

Seems a waste of money to go with the V&H if it can't be used for future upgrades. Is it a canned map or do you dyno the bike?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=ashmarc;6703229].

And there ya have it……….

Peace be with you and ride safe!!![/quote]

Well okee dokee then. Back at 'cha.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Arv
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh we are all friends..lol
But what i want know, is what's better, as I want one very soon.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone had any success with the FuelPak after swapping out their cams and going with SE 255 cams?

I have a FuelPak on my 07 SG and it works great. However, the only engine mods I have so far are an SE A/C and SuperTrapp slip-ons. Anyway, I wrote to them and informed them of my current set up and my plans to install the 255's in the near future. They replied two days later with a new map. But that's no gaurantee that it's going to perform well.

Obviously, I don't want to have to spend another $300 for a PCV unless I have to. So, I'm planning on giving it a try with the new map unless someone has already gone this route and can tell me for sure that it cannot be made to work well with 255's.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jimski
Has anyone had any success with the FuelPak after swapping out their cams and going with SE 255 cams?

I have a FuelPak on my 07 SG and it works great. However, the only engine mods I have so far are an SE A/C and SuperTrapp slip-ons. Anyway, I wrote to them and informed them of my current set up and my plans to install the 255's in the near future. They replied two days later with a new map. But that's no gaurantee that it's going to perform well.

Obviously, I don't want to have to spend another $300 for a PCV unless I have to. So, I'm planning on giving it a try with the new map unless someone has already gone this route and can tell me for sure that it cannot be made to work well with 255's.
I was going to go with se255's on my bike when I had the fuelpak. However, I was running with a stock ECM, and V&H told me (at that time) that I needed either a stage I or stage II download. I figured for the 150 bucks that would cost, I could apply it towards the purchase of a PCV and have more flexibility in cam selection.

Originally Posted by Arv
Ahh we are all friends..lol
But what i want know, is what's better, as I want one very soon.
If you're going to get a Fuelpak, watch the classifieds and buy a used one. They go for about 100 bucks here (slightly more on ebay), and are for sale regularly when guys do stage II mods. Power commander is more flexible, and does more (timing changes, ability to dyno tune). Better? probably the power commander. If V&H ever gets a clue, they could make the fuelpak so much better than it is.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:13 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have no idea about their products but I had the opportunity in 1987 to meet Terry Vance and Byron Hines at their shop in Torrance CA. This was before they were big (just making exhausts and nothing for Harleys) and Terry was still riding a Top Fuel drag bike. Byron Hines was as nice as could be and talked to me like he had known me for years. Terry, on the other hand, was snobbish and stuck up. He acted like he was so much better than me and that he didn't have time for something as petty as talking to some Navy punk that was in his shop just to shoot the breeze and ask afew questions. Wouldn't give me so much as the time of day. I swore when I left that place that I would NEVER purchase a product that bore his name. I have been true to my word to this day. If they ever change their name to Hines Motorcycle Performance or something to that effect I might give them a whirl because I do like the looks of some the their exhausts, but as long as there is ANY mention of Vance in the company I won't directly give them a red cent!

Quick Reply: Why all the hatin' on the V&H Fuelpak?