Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle beach bike week 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 AM
2007ELECTRICGLIDE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle beach bike week 2010

Anyone go this year is it dead with all the new laws

Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Living in Ind. I've never been to the MB meet. I've read this one and several other meets have been going south over the last several yrs.
At our age the big meets don't appeal to Grandma and I anyway. We have gone to some smaller local ones.
We don't really have much desire to go to any of the really big ones. If we did the ones that are early in the yr would be to cold and wet around here to travel very far.
We still get lows in the 30's and high of 50*days this time of the yr and those temps with rain are not our idea of good riding.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Last weekend was very slow. Not a lot of bikes but lots of LEO's in the city. Heard rom a buddy who was down it's still slow today (Tuesday) Course cool temps and gray skies may have a little to do with it too.

Bub

Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you decide to go, here is a tip: get on US421 and ride it as far as you can. plan on taking 2-3 days to get there. chances are you'll get to wilmington and decide the rally isn't really as important as turning around and riding that awesome road the other direction

when you get to Shady Valley TN, ask for directions to Windys campground.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that M.B.(actual location) is a dying event, and that there were two locations that were trying to take over because of it. One was north of myrtle beach, and the other was right inside the N.C. border, in some inland/inlet community. Not 100% sure...just what I read in the past.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I rode through yesterday. Wallet stayed in my pocket the whole time.

From what I saw, Myrtle Beach was pretty quiet. There was a lot of people riding into North Myrtle Beach, but no real large crowds anywhere. That may have changed later in the day, I was riding through from about 1PM to around 3:30.

I went there via 95 to 501. There were some trailers heading in but not a whole bunch, saw maybe 5-6 riders that way.

I came back via 17 North to 40 West. Lots more riders heading 17 South into North Myrtle.

I stopped at the dealer just over the NC line (Beach House, I think). There were some people there and some vendor trucks/tents. Everybody I talked to was staying out of Myrtle Beach city limits.

The NC State Patrol was out in force on 40 East and West around Wallace and in Duplin County. That isn't really that uncommon for that area.

Last edited by Toypuller; 05-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I hope its not that bad. A couple of us are leaving out of Columbia Saturday morning to head over for the night. I'm actually interested to see how it compares to Daytona. Im from D-town and am use to the craziness of it all - people have always told me that Myrtle was bigger and better than Daytona. Maybe that was before the City flat out said they hate bikers and all that MB BS.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Officials boost police presence in specific areas for motorcycle rallies
By Janelle Frost - jfrost@thesunnews.com

Area law enforcement officials are gearing up for the Harley-Davidson Cruisin' the Coast spring rally, which begins Friday.
Most of their departments will have additional officers present....

[Capt. David Knipes with the Myrtle Beach Police Department, North Myrtle Beach public information officer Nicole Aiello, Lt. Neil Johnson with the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office, and Chief Rodney Gause with the Shallotte, N.C., Police Department]

Q. | Will your department have extra officers, including state troopers, for this year's Harley bike rally?
Knipes | State troopers will be assigned to the general area in support of local law enforcement, … all of our staff will be available.
Aiello | For the Harley rally, additional North Myrtle Beach officers will be used to increase police presence....
Johnson | We will have additional personnel....
Gause | Extra officers are working traffic and will be on the premises at the Beach House Harley-Davidson shop in Shallotte.

Q. | Will there be targeted enforcement efforts, and if so, what will they focus on?
Knipes | Traffic safety is always a priority. We will also monitor any outlaw motorcycle gang activity.
Aiello | North Myrtle Beach officers will be enforcing any city ordinance that needs to be enforced... but the city usually sees an increase in noise and litter violations during the bike weeks.
Johnson | ...we will have additional personnel in the Murrells Inlet and Garden City area because these are the most heavily populated areas during this time. We want visibility and to be prepared in case we do have problems.
Gause | Our focus will be right there on U.S. 17 where you turn in.

Q. | What is the plan regarding traffic?
Johnson | …Our goal is to monitor traffic and enforce state laws and Georgetown County ordinances....
Gause | Traffic comes in and goes out the same road [on U.S. 17]. We're going to have blue lights out there to help out.

Q. | Where do you all expect the most congestion during this rally?
Knipes | Outlying areas outside the city limits.
Gause | Around the Harley shop. Most people are going to be riding around there. Most of the stuff is happening right there on the premises.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 05-11-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

There was two cruisers running blue lights and directing traffic at the entrance to Beach House yesterday.

I did not see the highway signs for checkpoints around Myrtle Beach like last year. But I didn't spend much time in the city limits before I headed on.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:45 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I went this past weekend, lots going on around Murrell's Inlet at the Beaver Bars, SBBs were a little slow but still rockin. Hung out at the Anvil for a while. I figure it'll pickup later in the week. Even before the current unpleasentness I never really went into MB proper.

RUBs think it's all about MB, but there's NMB, Garden City, Surfside, and Murrell's Inlet.

Quick Reply: Myrtle beach bike week 2010