General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle beach bike week 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010 | 03:00 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

MB has NEVER been as big as Daytona. Not even close. Now its dead for good. They dont want us there so dont go there. I will spend my money where I am welcome.

Old 05-11-2010 | 03:37 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by hoethree
MB has NEVER been as big as Daytona. Not even close. Now its dead for good. They dont want us there so dont go there. I will spend my money where I am welcome.
How many times have you been to MB?

Old 05-11-2010 | 03:48 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Jluvs2ride,

1999; 2002; and 2003. I have also been to Laconia three times and to Sturgis six times. Will be going to Sturgis again this year. How many times have you been out of South Carolina?

Old 05-11-2010 | 04:18 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Was at MB Bike Week in 2003 and 2004, 2005 and 2006.

They then started the BS with the cones and one way traffic on Ocean Blvd,

Never went back and don't intend to ever go back,

My $$$$$$ going to Sturgis this year,

Old 05-11-2010 | 04:30 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

+1 on ButtMan1000 said.

Old 05-12-2010 | 07:49 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by hoethree
Jluvs2ride,

1999; 2002; and 2003. I have also been to Laconia three times and to Sturgis six times. Will be going to Sturgis again this year. How many times have you been out of South Carolina?
More times than you can count.

Old 05-12-2010 | 08:07 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master

I'm here now in Cherrygrove with the wife, that is north of North Myrtle Beach.
It was packed today at Beaver Bar, and Suck Bang Blow.
It was packed at Poo's and Swing Bridge.
However when you drive up the strip there are very few bikes cruising.
Today is only Wednesday, and usually it starts getting better on Thursday.
If anyone is in town call me if you want to bar hop. HDfourm members are all invited
Phone 704-201-4832

Last edited by Rockyriver; 05-12-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2010 | 08:11 PM
Retro Rider
6th Gear

Have been to MB Bike week just once in 2003, that same year was at Biketoberfest, Daytonas fall rally and it seemed better than MB Bike week althought it is only a 4 day event and I guess total atendance at MB could be higher because of the lenght of the rally. We had a good time, however I refuse to go back to a city that doesnt want us. Its a shame that the local buisness owners and surrounding citys have to suffer but maybe they can apply some pressure to help remedy the situation! Just my opinion for what its worth.

Old 05-12-2010 | 09:31 PM
Iron Owner
Intermediate

It seems that most bikers are avoiding Myrtle Beach...That isn't such a bad thing since they **** up traffic for the locals (oooh, let's do 30MPH in a 45, side by side - it will take them forever to get home from work). However, towns north and south are still doing well. As a few have mentioned, places like S.B.B and The Beaver Bar are packed. The Anvil is another that does well this time of year.

There are vendors set up at Barefoot Landing, Myrtle Beach Harley Davidson and S.B.B...There are also vendors at places like the Broken Spoke and Iron Gate. I have only been to the ones at Barefoot so far but plan on hitting the others after work tomorrow.

A lot of people, many on this forum included, have a hard on for the city of Myrtle Beach. You guys think they don't want your money - which is absurd. Most of the hotel owners, restaurant owners and shop owners do not live within city limits - therefore they get very little say, and they can't vote on such matters (helmet laws, noise ordinance, etc etc). Do you think these people care where they get their money? Do you think hotel owners, restaurant owners and business owners don't want bikers here? That is the most incredibly stupid thing I have heard all decade. It is the local blue hairs who want quiet and no traffic. They get to vote, they get their say...Many people here are misinformed and talking out of their tree. Myrtle Beach loves bikers and the revenue they generate.

With that said, I am enjoying myself and have gotten out a couple of times so far (around my work schedule). All in all the towns north and south of Myrtle are again, doing well. I am glad to see people still come to MB for food, fun and a little debauchery. As a local it is nice to mingle with people from all over the country - who share one common interest. It is nice to talk to people who still come here, year after year, because it is tradition. I hope to see more bikers here in the next few days, as well as through the weekend.

You can't stop people from coming to an area. You can't make people go somewhere else. You can however embrace the people who do come here, and I think towns north and south of Myrtle Beach are doing that. If the locals in Myrtle Beach don't want you around, you are more than welcome to come hang in Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island, North Myrtle Beach, Little River, Garden City and parts of Myrtle Beach (that are outside of the city limits). Plenty of local bars and restaurants are happy bikers are in town. Many of them cater to the bikers because it is what they do.

I for one am glad I live here where I get to see this event year after year. Sure, it has died down a little over the past few years, but it is still a fun time of year. You get to meet some cool people and see some truly amazing bikes. Ride on and Be Safe out there!

Old 05-12-2010 | 09:50 PM
Rhodenjr
6th Gear

I live 1/2 mile from SBB Four Corners, and I can tell you that crowds down south here in Murrells Inlet have definitely grown each day this week. The friggin county didn't let the outdoor vendors open until Monday, so the weekend was dead, but it's been pretty hoppin during the week so far, getting bigger each day. I rode to Georgetown (work) every day this week, and today's bike-to-car ratio has definitely been larger.

Compared to last year? I THINK the crowds may be a bit bigger?

Yeah- City of MB let the retired folks scare off the bikers and essentially kill a struggling economy. Go to MB- don't go to MB... do what you want. But the rest of the event is what you make of it. Some guys have come down and like sit and bitch about MB, others come and talk about chrome, and some just come and ride.

If you can't have fun at the Beaver Bar or the rooftop bar at SBB, drinking $2 beer or $1 Diet Coke and watching the crowd, you probably need to head to Americade anyway!

Quick Reply: Myrtle beach bike week 2010