General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cost on baggers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Seascape
I see this attitude all the time in my line of work. I sell and build fences. Some people have this mentallity they cant stand to see you make much money.

I get asked enough "how much will you have in it"? My answer is always the same ,, more than you think.
Me too...I usually ask them ... Would you go to work for less than what you're getting paid for right now ... because if your company paid you less, then they could afford to give ME a better price on what I want to purchase.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought my '08 heritage, I was in a dealership and the salesman left the "book" open (I could read it upside down quite easily) and I saw the prices on the Ultra. I took retail price and took 25% off to get to invoice

Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,240 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDewster
Am interested in buying new ultra classic limited and would like to know dealers cost... willing to provide a "reasonable" profit so my dealer stays in business, but don't want to give away the barn.
Can anyone tell me the invoice price?
Why don't you start calling the dealers in your area, and ask them what they say in response to that?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrDewster
Am interested in buying new ultra classic limited and would like to know dealers cost... willing to provide a "reasonable" profit so my dealer stays in business, but don't want to give away the barn.
Can anyone tell me the invoice price?
Ya this post burns my ***. Since when is it your place to determine what a dealer needs to make on a bike. How you gonna come up w/ "reasonable"?

Be sure to ask them what theyre mortgage is ,, what they pay they help,, what theyre insurance is $$ ,, theyre light bill,,, ect.......... so you can get a good idea what "reasonable" is.

P.S. If you cant afford a Harley you could always buy a Honda. Why dont you just go in try to work them down on tag price until you feel you've gotten what you want? Your just gonna offend anyone that you try to run theyre books and decide what they should make.

"reasonable" gimme a break dude.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikergirl40
Me too...I usually ask them ... Would you go to work for less than what you're getting paid for right now ... because if your company paid you less, then they could afford to give ME a better price on what I want to purchase.
Also when asked that stupid *** question I have been known to go right back to me estimate and go " oh shoot i foregot to add in your gate hardware ,, and oh did you say you wanted an inside lock on that gate over there"?

Soon as they wanna start nickle and dime I do the same. Most people that exhibit this mentallity are just gonna wind me up w/ 1 or 2 days of stress trying to complete the job. They always try to get something thrown in after the fact that comes right out of my bottom line than act like they had it coming to them. I **** you not 25% of the people I deal w/ are like this guy,,,, its an epidemic!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Everyone should own a business just once...Maybe they would see how much it cost to run a business and try to maintain a profit.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

I don't know why no one will just answer the OP's question....

$15,789.28 is the cost!

OK, was that hard fellows?

Last edited by golfblues; 05-10-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man what is up with all these hard a$$ people when i go buy a car i go to kelly blue book and get invoice on car or trk, and alot of dealers post it, the guy diden`t say he wanted to make a silly offer, all you so called business owners prob are going broke you should always prepare yourself and knowing what inv, is is smart business hell he might offer more than they want the poor guy just asked a question this is a fourum

Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=golfblues;6694826]I don't know why no one will just answer the OP's question....

15,789,28 is the cost!

Assuming that's true, HD's website states $24699 as starting price for a 2010 Limited Ultra. My math shows right around $8910 markup. Hmmm, if that's the case, and I'm not sayin it is, that's a pretty stout bump. Especially with all the markup on parts, service, and motorclothes. Almost makes you wonder why they're in so much trouble. Oh, and the Union issues they're currently having indicates a plan to bust it up, and move if necessary to produce even cheaper and expand that margin even more.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Harley dealer's duty (as a good capitalist) is to sell you a bike at the maximum price possible (profit maximization). As far as invoice value, it's fine if somebody gives it to you (or an approximation) but as a purchaser you have no right to demand that information.

If the dealer is selling bikes at MSRP (the local dealer here is managing to do so quite well....and were doing well through the winter) why on God's green earth would they want to reduce their profit margin by giving you a break? About the best you can probably hope for is that they throw in some other stuff (free service, accessories discount, etc) that has an even more nebulous 'invoice' wholesale price than does the motorcycle.

The motorcycle business, especially the Harley Davidson motorcycle business ain't cowed by purchasers with a Consumer's Digest perspective. Unlike automobiles, where you can easily find 20 dealers within a day's driving distance offering the same brand, buying a Harley is a discretionary purchase mostly made by those with the necessary coin, and accustomed to letting their emotions guide the purchase. Like it or not, they're gonna get you coming....and going.

Quick Reply: Dealer cost on baggers