General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many gang bikers carry arms legally

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Budz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Many gang bikers carry arms legally

Atomic, your knee jerk reaction is out of line with the stated facts. Maybe you know more than what was in Lawdawg's post.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 AM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

there was a real fameous man that removed all guns from the streets of his country. it was part of one of his big speaches on how it would make it a safer place to live .HITLER 1935!!! ccw is the right of law abiding citizens. comit a felony and you shall never have that right jmo

Old 08-15-2006, 12:40 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Atomic,

You can't deny a gun permit to an individual just because some other individual used his gun improperly, has an arrest or conviction, or is a member of a biker gang, if that information is even required to have to begin with. You're going to have to have more than that to deny a permit.

Obviously, the gang members have no felonies or criminal conviction otherwise they would not have been issued a permit in the first place.

I carry concealed here in AZ and much of time with a non concealed open holster. There is no permit required to open carry a firearm here in AZ. Not just on your property but on your bike, walking down the street, in a store. There are exceptions of course that limits where you may open carry.

Unless the store owner has a sign that states "no firearms permitted" or he asks me to leave my gun outside, I can walk right in with a gun holstered on my hip in broad daylight. I do this although not much as I conceal it often.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:42 AM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: atomic

THat is pretty messed up that members of biker gangs that were just in gun fights are allowed to carry guns legally.

I am guessing they don't do too much of a background check before they issue those concealed fire arm permits. I am sure police officers have enough to worry about out there without the government allowing biker gang members to carry concealed weapons legally. This country is sure screwed up.
Here are the AZ requirements. Seems pretty thorough to me.

CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT OR RENEWAL OF EXISTING ARIZONA PERMIT

PERMIT REQUIREMENT GUN LAWS

1. Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident alien.
2. Must be lawfully present in the United States.
3. Must be at least 21 years of age.
4. Not under indictment or have not been convicted of a felony in the U.S. or elsewhere.
5. Not convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence.
6. Not under court order (i.e. order of protection, harassment, etc.)
7. Not a fugitive from justice.
8. Not a user of or addicted to any controlled substance.
9. Not been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
10. Have never renounced U.S. citizenship.
11. Do not suffer from mental illness and have not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.
12. Have satisfactorily completed a (8 hours) Certification Course
( http://azccw.com/course1.htm ). Training must take place within Arizona.

Exceptions:
1. Active duty Arizona Peace Officers Standards and Training Board certified or federally credentialed peace officers.
2. Honorably retired federal, state or local peace officers with a minimum of 10 years of service may obtain a permit without taking the firearms safety training program.
3. DPS approved Firearms Safety Training Instructors may obtain a permit without taking the firearms safety training program.
13. Concealed weapon permits may be renewed every five (5) years. All applicants for renewal, except DPS approved Firearms Safety Training Instructors, must successfully complete a DPS approved renewal training program (minimum of four (2) hours), no exceptions. Training must take place within Arizona.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: pococj

As usual, Atomic, yer off kilter. The background is pretty thorough, done in conjunction with the feds, and while it may mess up now and again, it does so seldom.

Here's a tidbit for ya: Concealed carry license holders commit less crime than police officers. Given that, it might make sense to allow only CCW holders to have firearms, and have the cops turn theirs in, eh? (That last is T-I-C!)

I don't have a CCW, and never will. I might carry, and I might not. And it ain't nobody's business except mine if I choose to exercise my right to self-defense. CCW is unconstitutional.

If it is so thorough how does it allow fire arms in the hands of violent Biker gangs members? And what is the point of even having policemen if they can't do their jobs? They are trying to prevent crimes and they can't even take guns away from gangs that were recently involved in a public shoot out.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 AM
fxrsjohn
Cruiser

Actually the background checks for CCW (at least in my state Florida) are pretty extensive. 90 days, all 10 fingers prints done through the FBI. If the Gang members were licensed to carry then they probably have not been convicted of any crime. Lawdawg's post did not say these were the same gang members involved in a shooting. What I think is crazy is that anyone would believe that restricting the constitutional right of law abiding citizens to own and carry firearms is somehow going to convince criminals to give up their guns. I have a CCW and I am very careful about carrying legally and responsibly. I support the second amendment and encourage any responsible law abiding people out there to consider exercising their right to own and carry a firearm. There are many documented cases where a victim turned the tables on a criminal and innocent lives were saved.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As usual, Atomic, yer off kilter. The background is pretty thorough, done in conjunction with the feds, and while it may mess up now and again, it does so seldom.

Here's a tidbit for ya: Concealed carry license holders commit less crime than police officers. Given that, it might make sense to allow only CCW holders to have firearms, and have the cops turn theirs in, eh? (That last is T-I-C!)

I don't have a CCW, and never will. I might carry, and I might not. And it ain't nobody's business except mine if I choose to exercise my right to self-defense. CCW is unconstitutional.

If it is so thorough how does it allow fire arms in the hands of violent Biker gangs members? And what is the point of even having policemen if they can't do their jobs? They are trying to prevent crimes and they can't even take guns away from gangs that were recently involved in a public shoot out.
get your head out of your a$4 already,,,,,,,,,,it has to stink by now

Old 08-15-2006, 01:25 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Gee, amazing! You missed the point. The ones who had the carry permits were legal. They'd committed no crimes that would disqualify them from having the license. What, you want to deny someone their constitutional rights based upon who they associate with? Why not turn in your driver's license. After all, many car drivers riders have criminal records.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:28 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple, they are issued permits because they are NOT convicted felons. Don't think for one second that anybody with a violent past is able to get a concealed weapons permit. They cannot discriminate against permit applicants just because they are a member of any group or club, regardless of the behavior or tendencies of other members, any more than they can discriminate against applicants because of race or sex.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Someone needs to wake up and smell the coffee!!

First of all, how do you know that those that were stopped were "violent Biker gangs members"? They may have been Outlaws, but were they violent? Don't really know, do you? Are the Outlaws a club or gang? Open to your personal feelling on the matter, right? Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the Outlaws members were the VICTIMS of the shooting. I'm not really sure how being in a public place and minding your own business, and getting shot, makes you involved in a public shoot out.

Teu

Quick Reply: Many gang bikers carry arms legally