General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was attacked by a shredded tire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,404 Likes on 8,422 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
I assume a tire exploding gives off some kind of gas pent up in the tire, cause it stunk. .
That was YOU crapping your pants!!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Maybe blowing a tire may or may not be illegal, but you are responsible for what comes off your vehicle, especially if it causes damage or injury to someone, A professional driver is supposed to check their tires and if he ran over something to cause a catastrophic tire failure he would have seen that and then he should have checked his tires.
A commercial operator knows what theyre supposed to do, he just tried to get away and got caught. The only lie he can come up with is he didnt realize the tire was blown until he got to the place where he got caught.
Your responsible for securement of load. You could check your tires every 5 miles and not know it's going to blow in 1 mile. You also don't have to run over anything to blow a tire. I'm guessing he checked his mirrors and didn't see any injuries or wrecks and instead of putting his life in danger on the shoulder of the road, by people not moving over, he got off at an exit to check things out and get tire replaced.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:09 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I call those "chunks" Gators cause most of the time they have steel in them too and if you run over one, in most instances you will have a flat tire as "they bite" and get ya..
I'd say you're lucky...
Yep! Down here in Florida, we call 'em GatorBacks. Kin of looks like a piece of gator hide lying on the road. I hit a piece once and had the end of it flip up and slap the back of my leg just above my boot and left me with a nice bloody slice.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:13 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-Boston
Add trucks carrying livestock to that list.

(don't ask how we know this)

JR

A buddy of mine told me a story about getting stuck behind a truck hauling pigs. Lots of pigs. Really big pigs. On a twisting, "No Passing next five miles" stretch of road. Then the pigs began making their mark on the world.... I told I would have rode straight to the nearest drive through car wash and killed two birds with one stone. Mighta skipped the hot wax though......

Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by never say never
never get behind semis they will f@ck you up in so many different ways it isn,t funny if they aint throwing thier recaps at you thier trying to run you over with thier trailor get around them or back way off!!!!!!!!!!P.S i seen a recap that seperated and hit a lincolon town car staight on the car was totaled if the tire would of not hit the grill and instead the windshield chances are that everyone in the car would of been dead!!!And all you got is a bike to protect you think about it,stay away from them.
If that was in Cincy Ohio that might have been my town car. It wasn't totaled but it took out the grill and radiator.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
paguy
Road Captain

As the weather gets hotter the chances a tire will come apart increases. Stay out of blind spots as a matter of safety. Pass quick. And follow at a distance.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by eisterd
Your responsible for securement of load. You could check your tires every 5 miles and not know it's going to blow in 1 mile. You also don't have to run over anything to blow a tire.
Sorry gotta disagree, youre responsible for everything from bumper to bumper, if he has haz mat you have to stop every 100 miles to check tire pressure, if you know your equipment and you are responsible to buy tires, etc for a rig, you are more in tune with the equip you drive. But yes a blowout can happen anytime, but usually there is something that preceeds it that causes the failure

Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bagman1
Sorry gotta disagree, youre responsible for everything from bumper to bumper, if he has haz mat you have to stop every 100 miles to check tire pressure, if you know your equipment and you are responsible to buy tires, etc for a rig, you are more in tune with the equip you drive. But yes a blowout can happen anytime, but usually there is something that preceeds it that causes the failure
They changed that 100mi law with hazmat. What preceeds it (blowout) is called "retread". Without them, there'd be alot less crap on the road, but everybody would pay a little more for everything they buy. That's just the way it is

Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in '00 about 10 or so of us were riding to MB for Bike Week. We took 2 lane roads most of the way but got on the expressway bypass to go around Columbia, SC.

Another biker and I were up front in the left lane, passing some cars when we came up on one of those truck tire 'gators' that was about 5 feet long. We split and swerved around it, as did most of our group, except for Donnie, aka 'Mongo.'

Mongo hit that thing and I don't know how he kept from crashing, but the only damage to his bike was a bent bottom front fender.

The pickup behind Mongo was pulling a trailer with a bike on it and ran straight over the damn thing. That gator ripped all the wires from under the trailer and yanked one brake light completely off. He had to rewire the trailer when we got to MB.

Yep, those 'gators' can be right dangerous!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened last year on our way home from Sturgis. We were doing 80 mph and a tractor trailer hauling 1/2 a house passed us! Got about 100' in front in the other lane and "pow"! Big chunk about 5 feet long whirled up in the air and right over our head didnt have time to duck at all. Another peice or 2 hit the front of my bike and somehow i had a big gouge out of my chest that never did bleed. It was about 90 degrees that day.

Heres what i learned,,,,,, usually but not always you will hear a thumping sound coming fron a trailer tire ready to blow.

Quick Reply: I was attacked by a shredded tire!