General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was attacked by a shredded tire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure what you were smelling came out of the tire? I think it may have come out of somebody's bowels. Just sayin.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have always feared that. I used to drive a lot of highway miles to work and back and have seen all that shrapnel on the roads. Two things that I put distance between me and them on the highway is tractor trailers and garbage trucks.

Glad you and the bike came out relatively unscathed.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eisterd
what's the rest of the story? He was dwi or something? blowing a tire isn't illegal as far as I know. Why'd he run?
Dunno? The cops found my guy at the truck stop and asked him if he could point him out, which he did. Said they were looking for him because of the damage he caused and leaving the scene. Then my guy came on back to work but on the record as a witness.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Lots of big rigs use recapped tires on their drivers and trailers. When one of those babies come apart, the whole tread just peels off some times, either intact as a doughnut, or as a long, complete slab. They can weigh about 50 pounds each. Not something you want to have an encounter with.
A few year back on a two lane in northern Minnesota, a truck coming towards me blew a tire. I chunk of retred that looked to be the size of Rhode Island, came flying in my direction. I closed my eyes and ducked my head. I felt something brush across my back. when I pulled over, I had about a 4 inch rip in my leather coat starting right at the shoulder blades. It would have taken my head off if I wasn't so lucky. Another time about two years ago on the interstate in Michigan, a small car pased me on the left. I smelled burning rubber and notices smoke coming off an obviously flat rear tire. I slowed down, and when the guy got a few hundred yards ahead of me, his tire blew. No big chunks this time. It looked like black shredded parmizan cheese spread across the entire road.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never get behind semis they will f@ck you up in so many different ways it isn,t funny if they aint throwing thier recaps at you thier trying to run you over with thier trailor get around them or back way off!!!!!!!!!!P.S i seen a recap that seperated and hit a lincolon town car staight on the car was totaled if the tire would of not hit the grill and instead the windshield chances are that everyone in the car would of been dead!!!And all you got is a bike to protect you think about it,stay away from them.

Last edited by never say never; 05-10-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,283 Likes on 22,625 Posts

I call those "chunks" Gators cause most of the time they have steel in them too and if you run over one, in most instances you will have a flat tire as "they bite" and get ya..
I'd say you're lucky...

Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by eisterd
what's the rest of the story? He was dwi or something? blowing a tire isn't illegal as far as I know. Why'd he run?
Maybe blowing a tire may or may not be illegal, but you are responsible for what comes off your vehicle, especially if it causes damage or injury to someone, A professional driver is supposed to check their tires and if he ran over something to cause a catastrophic tire failure he would have seen that and then he should have checked his tires.
A commercial operator knows what theyre supposed to do, he just tried to get away and got caught. The only lie he can come up with is he didnt realize the tire was blown until he got to the place where he got caught.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
tidefan60
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this happen once, learned to stay way back from trucks unless I plan on passing, and then do it quickly.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote=bagman1;6693169]A commercial operator knows what theyre supposed to do, he just tried to get away and got caught. The only lie he can come up with is he didnt realize the tire was blown until he got to the place where he got caught.[/quote]

The problem with that story is he left the Interstate heading to the closest truck stop and pulled his rig up to the front of the tire shop where he was subsequently found and interviewed by the local PD.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more

Originally Posted by todd-67
...Two things that I put distance between me and them on the highway is tractor trailers and garbage trucks...
Add trucks carrying livestock to that list.

(don't ask how we know this)

JR

Quick Reply: I was attacked by a shredded tire!