General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laying the bike down

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
siclmn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laying the bike down

How do you do it? Is there a manual that can instruct me in the art of "laying the bike down"? Just how is it done? A salesman at the local dealer told me that he can lay his bike down and then just ride it like a sled until it stops. Gee, what a useful skill to learn. Do you turn it in a certain way and lock the front brake or something like that? I would like to learn how to lay my bike down in emergency situations.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go play in the dirt before you play around and kill yourself.

Last edited by cadman311; 05-10-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a dirt bike or honda to practice on in a field, best way to do it is lock the rear brake and let the rear end slide up and then just over lean towards the pavment gravity will do the rest. again get a dirt bike and practice on the grass for health and safety reasons.

PS proper brake control and evasive steering will actually work safer then laying it down in 90% of the situations

Old 05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

This must be a troll post.

It is never good to lay a bike down. the point is to never be in that position.

Now go back to the cave that you came from.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

"Laying the bike down" is what you do when you don't know the proper thing to do. Take the MSF Experienced Rider Course and learn how not to lay 'er down.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
oldbiker771
Tourer

Most stories that you hear that start out "She pulled out in front of me so I laid the bike down..."are bull and should be translated "She pulled out in front of me so I panicked, locked the rear brake, and low sided under her car..." Practice threshold braking as taught in an MSF course and stay alert and you wont have to tell any stories like that. If you havent taken an MSF course yet, sign up. Insurance break too. If you are sliding sideways, there are no high friction rubber bits on the road to slow you down. Skin gives a little friction, but kinda hurts.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
scarpetta
Tourer

I dont think hes trolling, its something I thought of when I started riding to. Of course your not supposed to lay er down but if its gonna happen being prepared isnt a bad thing. I think thats what the OP was asking (correct me if im wrong)

Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

"Laying the bike down" is known as "crashing". It's not something you ever want to do, nor is it something that any instruction course will ever recommend.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbiker771
Most stories that you hear that start out "She pulled out in front of me so I laid the bike down..."are bull and should be translated "She pulled out in front of me so I panicked, locked the rear brake, and low sided under her car..." Practice threshold braking as taught in an MSF course and stay alert and you wont have to tell any stories like that. If you havent taken an MSF course yet, sign up. Insurance break too. If you are sliding sideways, there are no high friction rubber bits on the road to slow you down. Skin gives a little friction, but kinda hurts.
Bingo! Right on the money!

BTW, having had the unfortunate privilege of being involved in a high speed "crash," I can testify that all the "techniques" in the world won't stop you from grabbing a handful of brake with all of your might when confronted with a solid object (such as the side of a car) just up ahead. Which is why my 08 FLHX is equipped with ABS.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Must be something in the air....2nd thread in 2 hours on the same subject.....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...bike-down.html

Quick Reply: Laying the bike down