General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laying the bike down

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Look at the jaw in the second pic. If he's not saying/thinking "OhShit", I'm a munky.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Don't understand your dig at the MSF. Your last two sentences is exactly what they teach. Your third to the last sentence is frickin' BS.

My point is that sometimes these things happen so fast that you don't have a choice. And sure enough someone(that was my dig at the MSF crowd) will say there is always a choice and I disagree. Sometimes a crash is inevitable and the only thing that matters is surviving!!!

F

Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dFREDb
Last July I "laid my bike down". Going about 50 and looked away from the road for just a moment. When I looked back, the car in front was braking hard to turn off the highway and I braked hard enough to lock up both wheels, then release, then lock them both up again. No way out but oncoming traffic, back of the car, or the ditch on the right. To say I consciously laid it down would be B.S. In hindsight and recalling what happened I turned the bars to the left and the bike just tucked out from under me in the skid falling onto the left side. It happened so quickly that there is no way I could have done it on purpose, much as my pride would like to tell me. I can see where in rare circumstances it might be the correct action to take, but now I avoid getting into such a tight spot to begin with. It was a painful and expensive lesson and I'm just thankful I learned from it and survived.
This is the classic case..........driver ahead stopped quickly so they could make their turn, or hit the brakes because someone's dog is runnin across the road.
You're pretty much screwed unless you left a lot of extra room, you do the best you can in the moment. Nice to see you're alright Fred.

Oh yea, BTW, the previous pics..........I hate to diss on anyone but takin a picture of yourself while navigating turns??????????? Not in MY lifetime.........

Old 05-16-2010, 05:05 PM
morepowr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lay and pray!