General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laying the bike down

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

I guess I'm with MNPGRider.............I won't bore ya'll with wrecks I've been in.
Suffice it to say things happen in a split second. You do whatever seems right in the moment...........Hell, I watched a motorcycle cop crash in front of me because some bozo pulled out in front of the car in front of him leaving him no time to brake. It just happens, lot's of room is a good thing and defensive driving????????????? Man, I've been doin it since I was 16, now 52, and still got one effed up body but still ridin and lookin out for stupid drivers. Motorcycles are a passion and I enjoy working on them as much as riding them. "Layin em down"...........I guess it's OK if you have time to think, I've never had that option..............

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you should practice evasice manuvuers instead of laying it down being your 1st choice.Could save you a lot on repairs. Check out Ride Like a Pro DVD before you start laying it down you everytime you consider yourself in an emergency situation.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:34 AM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ABS on the Ultra,I hope I never need it...... I guess laying it down might be impossible or at least difficult, I'll just have to settle for stopping really fast instead.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:24 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is my opimion. If you see a reason to "lay your bike down" then it takes another second to react.then by the time the fluid reaches the brakes. by the time your bike hits the ground and you begin to slide. . If your bike is sliding down the pavment there is no control and you are at the mercy of gravity and friction. You can stop alot quicker.Plus save paint and road rash.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 practice evasice manuvuers instead of crashing. Yes I my broken wings that I wear on my jacket. I hear tire slide how many time have you ever did two wheel tire slide. I did it a couple times in my life and save me. I have practice it many times before it ever needed to do it. Do some parking lot manuvuer before it happens to you. Practice curves that you may never see but one day it may be there in front of you. Crashing (laying the bike down) your bike is not something you do on the road. It's some we did as kids in a dirt field as we learn how to ride.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Many guys don't understand the power of real countersteering, and are still trying to "force" the bike over into leans.
An even faster turn is initiated not only by pushing the bars on the side you want to turn toward, but pulling on the other side simultaneously. Try it.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Army used to teach the guys on bikes how to lay the bike down and use it as cover while shooting back at the enemy.
That is'nt your situation.
Your bike is not a sled. If you aren't able to have the conscious thinking ability to avoid the accident, you definetly won't be able to try to figure out how to hang ten while going down on a sliding bike...

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
Your bike is not a sled. If you aren't able to have the conscious thinking ability to avoid the accident, you definetly won't be able to try to figure out how to hang ten while going down on a sliding bike...
I disagree. I did intentionally pull my leg out from under at the last instant which left me riding the tank at impact. Then it squirted out from under me like a bar of wet soap. I prefer the sled idea to a coffin lid event.

And I did NOT put it down intentionally.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:56 AM
cadman311
Club Member

So you just crashed real simple. Get your broken wings. Get up and ride again.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
cadman311
Club Member

We found you a new Job

Quick Reply: Laying the bike down