General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laying the bike down

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

laying one down is simple, its the riding it like a sled i really would like to see.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avoiding a wreck by having a wreck never made sense to me.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:55 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by scarpetta
I dont think hes trolling, its something I thought of when I started riding to. Of course your not supposed to lay er down but if its gonna happen being prepared isnt a bad thing. I think thats what the OP was asking (correct me if im wrong)
I don't think so

6 post since June 2008 Fricking A-hole troll

Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leicafish
I don't think so

6 post since June 2008 Fricking A-hole troll
Ding ding ding - we have a winnah!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I laid the bike down" = "I screwed up and lost control of the bike, but I want you to think I meant to do it".

Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Drifting Texas
Avoiding a wreck by having a wreck never made sense to me.
My thoughts exactly. I've met a number of guys who firmly believe that laying the bike down in an emergency was a perfectly valid option. My problem with that is two fold. First, the coefficient of friction between rubber and pavement is much higher than the coefficient of friction between metal and pavement. The bike will slow down a LOT faster on it's tires than it ever will sliding on it's side. Second, once you've put it down, you've forfeited all options. At least while you're on the tires, you have the possibility of braking or maneuvering to avoid whatever it is you're trying to avoid. Once you're on the ground, you're simply sliding along for the ride. If you get to the point where you "have" to lay it down, you've probably screwed the pooch ten times over already, in terms of riding judgment.

To each their own!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,062 Likes on 6,683 Posts

If you have time to finesse that and "ride it like a sled", then you had time to avoid it in the first place.

Anyone stupid enough to "plan" an evasive maneuver based on a pending crash shouldn't get an 'M' license. It can happen so fast, you won't even see yourself bleed.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM
az sporty
6th Gear

That salesman is an idiot. He shouldn't be telling people , especially new riders that. Why would you want to be under a 6 to 8 hundred pound bike sliding along the asphalt?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:34 PM
BrianR
Advanced

Have you ever watched a bike high-side during a motorcycle race? It's pretty violent. In that type of situation, it would be better for the rider to lay it down. A typical street rider probably wouldn't ever get in that situation or know how to react, but I know on a dirt bike if you start to have the rear slide out when braking through a turn and then let off the brake the bike can come back up pretty fast. Imagine doing that with soft compound racing tires.

Again, if an average rider like me said they were riding on the street and they chose to lay it down it's probably a bunch of BS. But if a professional racer said they were at a track and they chose to lay it down rather than risk a high side I'd believe them.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
keepbeat
Stage II
Default Bob B. Road Captain Mt. D HOG

I've had mine down all over CA Best thing to do is not have it happen. But if you do and your on a street or freeway. Get away from the bike as best you can. Roll if possible to cushion the fall. 1st time the bike (my softail) landed on my left foot then I dropped it on the right side and broke my ankle still have the plate and 9 screws. Dumped my Road Glide twice in a few months last year the 2nd time cracked my pelvis is 2 spots back still hurts. This year about 2 months ago took the softail down again and fractured my colar bone and a rib. All but 1 I feel were driver error. Hint don't make errors and as soon as possible if your going down for sure as mentioned roll. Remember the bike can be fixed but the human element takes awhile. And we certainly aren't getting younger. Don't be a cowboy.

Quick Reply: Laying the bike down