General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get "harassed" being part of H.O.G.??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 AM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you get "harassed" being part of H.O.G.??

In reply to HOGMONGER.. no, you don't get harrassed by being a member of HOG.

The only way you ever get harrassed is if you act like a total jerk or an @sshole, then, you get what's comin to ya!

Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, no one is going to dictate what I can and can't do on or off of my motorcycle. Where I ride, what I ride or what I wear.

I'm respectful to all that show respect themselves. Just because somebody has a patch on their back with or without rockers doesn't automatically mean they've earn the respect of others.

I'm not stupid, ignorant or overly proud. If I see someone or something that deserves my attention and or respect I'm drawn to it, if not, I go the other way.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't Cut and Shoot HOG actually have prospects? But I digress, I've never heard of anyone having any trouble being part of HOG, and I have quite a few friends that have the HOG patch on most of their vests and wear them all the time. We have a few 1% clubs around here and I socialize with a few M/C (outlaw and not) members and no-one has ever expressed a problem with people wearing HOG colors, or being part of HOG ever.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When it rains, I am the only one riding to the HOG meetings, and everyone looks at me funny.
When it's cold, I am one of a few riders.
When it's nice out and you could be riding, they want to have meetings.
When they ride, they go 50-80 miles and have lunch. End of ride. They have this "ride to eat, eat to ride" motto.

They seem like nice people, but it just wasn't for me. I don't like wearing a vest, or playing dress-up.
I found riding alone is much more enjoyable, and going with a friend once in a while is cool as long as we are riding and not sitting at starbucks talking about riding.

I think I'll keep my national, but not renew my local. It is only $20, so I might just for the heck of it.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

I belong to the American Legion Riders and the Biggs HOG Chapter. The patch on the back of my vest is ALR with rockers. I also have a HOG patch on the side of my vest. Both clubs are cool with that. Our HOG chapter is getting HUGE with several hundred members and growing every month. It is a very social group with many day and multiday rides per month. We are well supported by our dealer and return the support to the Heart Ride Angela Spence Foundation and the military. The Biggs HOG Chapter has a very comprehensive riders manual and one of the best "Formation Riding 101" classes I have seen.

Usually in a group 5% of the people do 99% of the work. The Biggs HOG Chapter is not like that at all. Volunteering spreads like the flu in this organization and I feel fortunate to have such a group where I live. I hope you can be so lucky.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 PM
HotRod
Advanced

I just joined a HOG Chapter about 8 or 9 months ago. I had moved from MI to Texas and needed to find people to ride with. In MI I had lots of friends that rode so I didn't feel the need for the HOG Chapter. I had friends that were in various MC's (1% ers) in MI and not once did they ever hassle a HOG member for having a patch. Like stated before, you're not a "threat" to them or their territory so they'll pretty much leave you alone. I've met some great people through the HOG chapter down here and have been on some awesome rides! I've heard of MC's hassling people down here for wearing their HOG patch but it's only on a certain island. A HOG Chapter that is located near that island gets permission from the MC to ride on the island flying their colours.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

I don't wear the patch.. the old lady might.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:08 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

When it rains, I am the only one riding to the HOG meetings, and everyone looks at me funny.
When it's cold, I am one of a few riders.
When it's nice out and you could be riding, they want to have meetings.
When they ride, they go 50-80 miles and have lunch. End of ride. They have this "ride to eat, eat to ride" motto.

They seem like nice people, but it just wasn't for me. I don't like wearing a vest, or playing dress-up.
I found riding alone is much more enjoyable, and going with a friend once in a while is cool as long as we are riding and not sitting at starbucks talking about riding.

I think I'll keep my national, but not renew my local. It is only $20, so I might just for the heck of it.
I think HOG chapters, like everything else, vary a bit from location to location. I just joined ours a couple of weeks ago. Rides going on all the time. I went on one Saturday that was close to 400 miles and we cut it short. We have fun at the "Live to ride, ride to eat" motto, but good riding and eating is all part of the game. A lot of great people in the group and it's a great way to meet people, checkout some riding and have fun. Doesn't mean I gave up riding solo; it's still a way to dump some stress. I still find that riding in a group, you can still be pretty much alone with your own thoughts. Have fun.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Is there a secret handshake too?

what a crock of fecal matter

Is being a member of HOG is like being a member of the Elks, Sons of Italy, Knights of Columbus or something?

Anything that is run by the dealer or by the almighty MOCO is there to keep you in the selling loop, part of the HD family.
If the stealership didn't think there was something in it for them they wouldn't be doing it. Activities that start and end at the stealership get foot traffic in the door.

HOG... from the same people that gave you ELTON JOHN as the big name musical talent at the 100th in Milwakee

Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
softail2005
Road Captain

I wore my colors when I went up to the Soap Lake Ralley in WA state. It was a way of each person knowing where others came from and enabled everyone to chat about their state and local chapters. A great way to break the ice and start a conversation with new friends.

I do see people wearing their colors on their everyday jackets although its rare around here. Who would know if you were coming or going from a club event when you stopped into a resturant or bar on the way home. I have never heard of any enforcement action against a member wearing colors at the wrong time.

Quick Reply: Do you get "harassed" being part of H.O.G.??