General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried Out An Ultra Today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried Out An Ultra Today!

Hey Harleyheads!

A few weeks ago I mentioned here that my wife can't enjoy riding The Deuce for more than about 100-150 miles, then her hips, neck, etc, are killing her. Not fun to me if she's not having fun, too. SOOO.... asked you guys about Ultra's. Lots of good responses and info. Some of you suggested rental or dealer tryout.

Fortunately, I have a long time friend that offered his '02 Ultra Classic for a ride whenever we wanted. Took him up on it today. Wife and I did a "little jaunt" from our house to Eureka Springs, AR and back... total of 315 miles.

The result? She was ready to go more miles!!! She felt she could easily do another 100 or more if needed!

Yup, it made THAT much difference to have a good seating arrangement and a good suspension. No hip issues, no neck aches (wind buffeting was causing that), overall almost as fresh as when she started this morning.

She's all for getting our financial ducks in a row and trying to swing for an Ultra... PRONTO. (She's excited about doing a vacation aboard a bike now, instead of dreading it!)

Wow. Couldn't believe the comfort difference it made for her. (And truth be known, for me too.)

SOOOOO...

I'm thinking seriously about selling The Deuce in a few months in order to make this happen quicker.

Now, for my part in it, there ARE "pros/cons" between my Deuce and an Ultra, but that's a discussion best left for a later time.

Kind of excitin' though.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Dan1127
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra is the way to go for 2up. No doubt about it. Hope you get what you want.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:48 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's cool your wife wants to vacation on a bike.

I say - go for it and enjoy life to the fullest.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
txhdguy
Cruiser

I plan on going to the local hd dealers demo next saturday and trying one out myself.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:25 PM
straitshot151
Tourer

The only way to go is for comfort.especially the wifes comfort.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by txhdguy
I plan on going to the local hd dealers demo next saturday and trying one out myself.
get there EARLY!! I went and didn't get to ride what I wanted! I plan on wearing my wifes rear out this summer till SHE wants an Ultra. What you give up from the Duece I think you'll gain back with both of you really enjoying the ride and time spent together on the Ultra. Good luck to ya

Old 05-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Mysanity2
Advanced

The Ultra is .....well the ultimate in comfort. Every time I get on mine i fell like I could ride a many miles.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:55 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

You're wife likes to go on bike vacations! Could we talk swapping. Wives, not bikes.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:10 AM
robdv
3rd Gear

My wife picked the ultra for me and bought it. How could I tell her it wasn't what I wanted. It turned out to be the perfect bike for the both of us. I now have to wake her after a long ride.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have the Ultra just a Classic but as far as im concerned, I'll not go to anything less ever again. Did a 5 day 7 state trip last summer that was the best ride we ever had. My wife had lower back surgery in 08 and she is just as comfortable on the bike as she is in the cage on long trips. That to me is worth its weight in gold.

Quick Reply: Tried Out An Ultra Today!