General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried Out An Ultra Today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep, we had a Road King for a while and the wife didn't really enjoy it, she didn't feel safe on the back even with a sissy bar. I sat her on the back of an Ultra at the Harley store one day and it was instant, "buy on of these" she said, had one the next day. Unfortunately I didn't get to keep both bikes. Now she is ready to go anytime and we are on our second Ultra now. Great choice.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

An Ultra is one of the few bikes that doesn't treat the passenger as a design afterthought. A happy riding partner makes for a good time for all. Enjoy that Ultra!

As for bikes.....if you still want a street bike for yourself, you know that there are so many cheap, used bikes out there. If you ride other brands (and if you have dirtbikes, I'm guessing you do), then pick up an old 750 or something.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 AM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been ridin 40 plus years as well. last 15 on roadkings. mom was gettin uncomfy.
we been vacationing on bikes for last 10 years two up. I dreaded the losing the luxury of not havin the windshield,a fixed faring really freaked me out. and more BuT
This ultra I just got has made moms day and mine as well. It's my primary means of transport and I think mom will be along much more often now.
get one and enjoy it

Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
fxe77rebel
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMing
... the Deuce may need to be sold to go toward it. The Deuce's future is uncertain at this point.

ONCE all my changes have taken place, I would like to have only 3 bikes in the garage:

My dirt bike.
Her dirt bike.
An Ultra.
Think long and hard about giving up the Deuce. You obviously enjoy the dirt bikes. I can see keeping them. But believe me, with the differences between the Deuce and the Ultra, it's nice to throw a leg over the Deuce when not riding two up. Both bikes are great fun though, enjoy!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing thats nice about a Classic or Ultra is that you can strip them down when you know your not going to do a long ride with the wife and then you have almost a 2nd bike,take the tour pac off,throw a differant seat on and ya have a nice bike for solo riding.Its nice to take the pac off when just riding around cause ya dont have the extra top weight on back,easier to move the bike around to when not on it also.

Hope ya get your Ultra or Classic.......

Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all.

Had a bit of a surprise this morning. I brought up the subject again... and seems she is rethinking the idea and now has cold feet on account of the money involved.

?????

So... I now haven't a clue as to what direction this will eventually go.

For now the Deuce is quite safe. Perhaps I'll be riding it by myself more in the future. It was only for her I was considering the Ultra.

Hard to understand a woman's perspective sometimes.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every time I was riding my Road King Classic and saw an Ultra pass by, I almost couldn't stand it. Now that my RKC has been sold and I'm riding a very nice '09 Ultra Classic, I wondered what took me so long.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I fully understand getting all enthused about something, sleep on it, & in the morning you get a different perspective. Maybe later on you can swing it, but Jeese, don't sell the Deuce!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:24 PM
HarleyCanada
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
If you could swing it, I'd keep the Deuce for short rides in addition to the Ultra.
Exactly what my pops did! kept his Deuce and bought and Ultra Classic for the long trips!! I know, I too once was one of those "I would never ride one of those couchs" type of guy, but must admit, a few hours of more than enjoyable cruising down the highway in comfort is more than enough to change one's attitude!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a roadking and it was nice, but after riding a Ultra, we would never go back. This is our second Ultra with many a mile both solo and 2 up. The Ultra is a awesome TOURING Machine.

Quick Reply: Tried Out An Ultra Today!