General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried Out An Ultra Today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:37 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you could swing it, I'd keep the Deuce for short rides in addition to the Ultra.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 AM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me a year to get my wife to test ride an Ultra with me. Now she's sold on one......and so am I.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Ohiobellboy
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I was looking for a Deuce when the deal of a lifetime fell in my lap on my '02 Ultra. My wife and I both love it. I have a buddy in NC that has seen the pix and calls it a LazyBoy on 2 wheels. I can't believe the comfort level on it. My longest ride to date was 4hours and I wasn't even fatigued like I was on my previous smaller bike after a 1.5 hour ride. You will both enjoy it.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by LAMing
Hey Harleyheads!

A few weeks ago I mentioned here that my wife can't enjoy riding The Deuce for more than about 100-150 miles, then her hips, neck, etc, are killing her. Not fun to me if she's not having fun, too. SOOO.... asked you guys about Ultra's. Lots of good responses and info. Some of you suggested rental or dealer tryout.

Fortunately, I have a long time friend that offered his '02 Ultra Classic for a ride whenever we wanted. Took him up on it today. Wife and I did a "little jaunt" from our house to Eureka Springs, AR and back... total of 315 miles.

The result? She was ready to go more miles!!! She felt she could easily do another 100 or more if needed!

Yup, it made THAT much difference to have a good seating arrangement and a good suspension. No hip issues, no neck aches (wind buffeting was causing that), overall almost as fresh as when she started this morning.

She's all for getting our financial ducks in a row and trying to swing for an Ultra... PRONTO. (She's excited about doing a vacation aboard a bike now, instead of dreading it!)

Wow. Couldn't believe the comfort difference it made for her. (And truth be known, for me too.)

SOOOOO...

I'm thinking seriously about selling The Deuce in a few months in order to make this happen quicker.

Now, for my part in it, there ARE "pros/cons" between my Deuce and an Ultra, but that's a discussion best left for a later time.

Kind of excitin' though.
Yep....know that feel'n well.....I love mine(Deuce), but long haul for a passenger? not the bike for it.....I can ride it all day.....not a problem,even have the Sundowner w/the wider pass. area....still ain' comfy for long hauls for the passenger....an don' matter how many "rest stops" neither.....
If ya like'd the 02' Ultra ya rode, you'll really fall for the newer one's.....all the changes they made to the bikes(over 450,I think) really make the difference.....friends I ride with that have'm say it's real noticeable in the ride an' handle'n.......good luck on the decision, an for long hauls, ya prolly won' regret the switch............or she won't !

Old 05-09-2010, 08:37 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Many of us, as drivers, have buffeting problems with the Ultra.

Also, watch out for side winds...there is a lot of mass catching the wind. We got blown over sitting at a stop sign in Chamberlain, SD, when strong winds were roaring through the valley.

Other than that....We love it !

Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 AM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the cheers of encouragement. We are thinking in terms of trying out a newer Ultra so we can see if we can determine the differences in ride/etc the MoCo touts. (Our local dealer has offered a new one for a demo.)

Getting an Ultra isn't going to be something we can pull-off next weekend or so. It's going to be a while. There is a payment we need to retire first. I will be doing this by making some sweeping changes in my biking ways. Simply put, I have too many bikes and can't enjoy them all (no time).

As well, I think I'm going to step back from my vintage dirt competition (I'm 58 now... it may be time) and just ride trails/etc. This will free up 3 bikes that can be sold. (Two of them high-dollar vintage collectibles.) That should take care of the payment we want to eliminate. This frees up monthly disposable to apply toward an Ultra... but... depending on just how much Ultra we want to purchase (older used or newer or new?)... the Deuce may need to be sold to go toward it. The Deuce's future is uncertain at this point.

ONCE all my changes have taken place, I would like to have only 3 bikes in the garage:

My dirt bike.
Her dirt bike.
An Ultra.

It's been YEARS AND YEARS since I've only had three bikes!!! I will still touch base with my vintage bike friends/competiton, but only as a sweep rider aboard my newer dirt bike.

Welp, off to see our Mom's today. I'll check in on this thread later tonight and maybe I can type some of my impressions/comparisons between the Deuce and the Ultra. I was surprised at a few of them!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 AM
exiledcarper
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My wife finds our Deuce hard work on a longer ride too. I'm not sold on the Ultra's looks, but quite like the Street Glide. Would the SG be a big upgrade in comfort level, or maybe a Road King?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Chief40al
Road Captain

My wife LOVES the Ultra Limited, compared to my 07 heritage.
Can ride much longer with no problems.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:02 AM
MrMax
Cruiser

Hope you get it worked out, and off on that long bike trip soon. The Duece is a great local/daytrip bike, but the baggers rule when it comes to racking up the miles in comfort.
Good luck with the details.
Regards,
R

Old 05-09-2010, 10:03 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here. Just got rid of 05 Heritage for the Limited and she love the ride. I had to get some adjustable pegs for her as the boards were a bit too low for her. But now it's great. You won't be sorry. As **** says, "just do it."

Quick Reply: Tried Out An Ultra Today!