General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More and more MSRP dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:22 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: More and more MSRP dealerships

Beefcake writes:HD dealers are azzholes! I buy my parts online. They're usually cheaper and

Amen to that, you are exactly right and they are one big cult.[:@]

Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM
justjeff
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

helotaxi, congratulations on getting a great deal. I think Harley should make it easier for veterans and current service folks to get a great deal on a new bike. If it wasn't for the sacrifices of many veterans Harley wouldn't even be in business. I hate to see a U.S. serviceman on a Japanese bike.

I find it really offensive when some young kid that hasn't done a day of service in his life looks down his nose at a veteran and explains why they have to pay more than MSRP to own a Harley now. It happened to me, and it's a pretty sickening situation, especially when the sales person says they haven't been "lucky enough to serve our country yet". Hell, he'd probably even voted for that draft dodger that used to be our president.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:17 AM
helotaxi
Cruiser

The one that really cracks me up is I went into the local stealer ($3000 above MSRP for a RK Custom) because I needed a part like yesterday, and there were several customers' bikes out front and the owners were standing around talking. All the bikes that were right next to the service bay entrance were crotch rockets. Not Buells either. Seems that the employees ride rice. Just though it was funny. The dealer in Great Falls, MT had a few guys working there that only had Jap bikes, too.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Wolf
Road Captain

Man, I got to jump in on this gang bang! My experience has been, bought the 2005 Fatboy last Sept. from a very big fancy dealership at a decent price after being introduced to the GM and owner by a pal.

The buying experience was good but it started going down hill when I had to crush an oil filter to get the one off they put on at the dealership at the 1000 mile check up. A third grader can put an oil filter on right. They screwed up the tire air pressure while they were at it. I also caught the GM in several white lies about little things in general. My pal that introduced me to the place bought a new RK from them, and they simply could not make his carb run right after FOUR visits. Finally, he told them to f--- off and he put a Mikuni on the NEW RK. Naturally, it runs better.

So, now, when time for the 5K check up, I scouted out a dealer closer to home, smaller, family owned and managed for 27 years, not so fancy a place, they don't tell little white lies, and their service is awesome and quick. Now, the big fancy place gets nothing after the sale from me and my pal.

So, while passing time in another brand's store, I test ride one of their bikes, find it is an awesome machine (BMW), and buy one. I'm treated like gold, the bike is technologically a light year ahead of my HD and costs considerably LESS.

Both bikes are fun, I like my Harley, but I'm convinced that Harley in general DOES NOT have good mechanics, and is at the top of a painful downhill slide. I too have experienced the arrogant, "I'll help you when I get around to it" attitude in many HD dealerships and it's costing them.

The best thing about all of this to me is, I never felt like I HAD to have a Harley or anything else materialistic. I do need this computer though, LOL!

Old 06-11-2005, 01:09 AM
idunno
Intermediate

I wen't to one of the oldest HD dealers in Atlanta to decide on a Road King Classic or Heritage.I had a new salesman helping me who took more than enough time to let me check out my interest,even took me out back into the warehouse to see all of the selections.He was well on his way to letting me decide to go ahead and by a new bike. I asked for a price between a RK Classic and a Deluxe softail so he went to find out,this is where it turned ti ****. Another Salesman took over who was more interested in knowing how I expected to pay for it and making up my mind so he didn,t have to look up the price on two.Hell he wouldn't even give me a price on one,he just said he was not going to be the cheapest price I find.Then he had the Audasity to ask what would he have to do to get me to take one today? Tell me how much it is would be a great place to start. I live 10 mile from my local dealer in Conyers who dont have this attitude,but evedently driving 45 miles from my house is not enough proof to this other dealer that I am interested in a purchase.Now I know why a used Harley cost more than new,your paying for not putting up with the hassels.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Markcuda
Banned

Beefcake writes:HD dealers are azzholes! I buy my parts online.
I think you need to find a differant dealer.
I don't see that all of them are *** holes, and I ain't going to jump on your band wagon and agree with your statement[:@]

I also get my parts on line because I get them at a 20 percent discount, that is why.
No one should pay retail on chrome.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:52 PM
rhinoevans
Tourer

SOme history. I have owned 4 Harleys. I bought my first one in 1987 when the 883 Huggers were $3999. Paided MSRP at the local dealer in Clovis NM (AF Guy). Rode a friends Big twin and was hooked. Ordered a low rider, by found a repo at the local back. It was a 1986 Softail CUstom, Blue and silver. THe bank was taking bids and I was the higherst bibber @ $3799. What a deal that was. Needed about a $1000 in fix up parts, but still a steal. Sold it later in the UK for $7500, when I had ordered a 1995 Fat Boy at MSRP, $12500, from the MIlitary Exchange HD program. Moved to VEgas, where I live now, sold the Fat Boy for $18,000 in 1997. Wanted a new bike but the local dealer sold all bikes well above MSRP, in addition to all the extra stuff that they would put on the showroom bikes. Based on that experience, I was shocked a few months ago to see HOW LOW MSRP really was. Looking in the paper for a $10,000 or less bike (that is all I had to spend), mostly focusing on rice. ALthough I did find 2 Harleys that were around $10,000. A 93 Springer for $10,000 (18,000 miles) and a 2001 NIght Train for $10,750 (4,400 miles). I had been out of the maket since 1996 and did not evenknow what the NT was. Called the guy, so I could look at it, to eliminate it , and most likely buy the Springer. THe NT was PERFECT, showroom conditon, and BEUTIFUL. HE had 3-4 lookers, but no serious offer. Said he thinks he listed it to low, which is what some looker told him, so he want $10,750, but a total of $11,500 for all the extras. I wrote him a check for $2000, cause I was on my way to the airport for a 7 day trip to and would pick it up next week. DId not even go to the dealer, because of past experience. I would not pay 1 dime over MSRP for any bike.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:45 PM
justjeff
Novice

Good job on finding a bike deal rhinovans.

Rehashing all of this has sort of strengthened my previous resolve to not buy another Harley due to the fact that Harley Davidson corporate does nothing to stop dealers from charging well over MSRP. The more I've thought about it, the more I am remembering how much it initially bothered me. I don't think I'm going to support Harley in any way by owning one of their products. I have a couple of vintage British bikes that I like to tinker with and putt around on from time to time. I'm thinking a new Triumph might be the next bike. Big Dog, AIH, and a lot of others have some great alternatives for American V-Twins, but they're all relatively expensive, and to be honest, I'd probably rather own one or two other bikes of various styles as opposed to having it all tied up in one rather narrow focus bike. That's just me though, we're obviously lucky to have so many wonderful choices. There are a lot of kits out there to make outrageous choppers starting with a metric bike, that's not really my style, but they're becoming popular.

I think there may be a Tiger adventure tourer in my near future. In the meantime my family is bugging me to load up our dirt bikes and quads and head to the desert in eastern WA.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Xchief
Advanced

Just walked out of the dealership here after working the deal over the phone, new FLHTi at MSRP, all chrome goodies 20% off and under 2 yr warrenty, 2 free shirts , pair free gloves, 20% off all other gear and wifes shopping spree, 1 year HOG membership and first free service. Thought it was a good deal and they honered it when I went down to the dealer two days later.....they even had it up front with my name on it [sm=smiley20.gif]
Then after the salesman realizied I am a firefighter , he went and gave me a free HD firefighter badge to put on the new scout ....I am one happy old guy !

Old 06-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 808 Posts

I've had nothing but great experiences with my dealer. I paid MSRP for my Night Train, and got discounts on parts, etc... They aren't too expensive on service, so I let them do it... especially since I just don't have the time! I feel for those of you that have had those negative experiences.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]