General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which wax have you found has the best combination of shine and durability?
Mothers California Gold
15.49%
Liquid Glass
19.72%
Mequires Gold Class
47.89%
Turtle Wax Ice
16.90%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Liquid Glass doesn't leave a white powerly residue. It can be used on all surfaces.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:52 PM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, What Zaino??? Went to there site and there is the all in one but the Z2 pro is made for clear coat finishes and can be built up for shine and the deep look.
Now I am confused.
Any help on this one?

Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
first dyna 07
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one the only lemon pledge

Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coronerrpm
OK, What Zaino??? Went to there site and there is the all in one but the Z2 pro is made for clear coat finishes and can be built up for shine and the deep look.
Now I am confused.
Any help on this one?
I've used Zaino products a number of years and they offer a number of different products.

They offer a mild polish, an all in one (AIO) someone already mentioned which is a polish/finish coat combined, clay, a couple types of finish coats, and at least two quick detailers.

Their products are not waxes but presented as being polymer coatings. In my experience, they last much longer than any waxes I've used.

The process for applying them is to remove old waxes (they recommend washing the vehicle with Dawn dish washing liquid), clay bar the paint, polish the paint, and then put on one of their finish coats either for clear coat or regular paint. They offer an additive for their finish coats that is supposed to help polymerize the product to make it harder and more durable. They advertise that you can layer up to three coats on the first day but then you have to wait if you want to put on any more coats.

I did this process to my car three years ago using an orbital polisher for the polish step. Since then all I've done is wash it and spray a layer of one of their detailing sprays (Z-6 or Z-8) after drying the car. The car still looks great. Road grime and bird droppings do not stick to the paint or stain it.

I bought the bike new and did not machine polish it. I just went over it with a microfiber towel and hand polished all the painted parts and then put on several layers of their Z-2 product on it. I've used the Z-8 after washing just like on the car.

I'm very satisfied with the product.

I do think a good wax looks a littler better for a show type car but it is not nearly as durable (long lasting) as the Zaino product.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 PM
dwebber
Intermediate

Protect All

Old 05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I've been using Turtle Wax ICE. The paste, not the liquid. Don't have to worry about any white residue and it seems shiny enough.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:55 PM
JoeN
Tourer

Meguires NXT shines great, and is easy to apply and take off

Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
coronerrpm
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Morris9982 for the info. Looks like I am going to go with there products. Even had a guy at the bar tell me how great it is.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted for Mequire's Gold Class but I like the NXT best. I use the same stuff as on my truck and NXT goes on and off easier then the Gold Class....

Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
What is this wax thing that your are talking about.

An automotive engineer told me that anything with a clear coat finish only needs washing with mild soap and buffing with a soft cloth.

He must have never seen a Zanio jog though.
Oops, wrong post...

Quick Reply: Waxing