General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it from getting stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
At first, I thought you meant "disc" lock, but then I realized that you would have warned against TRYING to drive off. Of course! DICK locks still allow you to drive away...if you're locked to the fork! Silly me. Just remember never to lock the dick to anything like a signpost or a fire hydrant. Driving off without removing the lock in those situations would be highly distracting.
Roo, I'm glad you were the first to comment on that one, no one else could have done it justice.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

i also live in a complex with a covered carport, first thing is GOOD INSURANCE that covers theft, & take photos & keep all the receipts for added upgrades. i also use two disk locks, two HEAVY DUTY cable/link locks,( much more of a PIA to try to cut thru a cable/link, than a chain ) a no-name cover. i lock mine up to a column & it's sandwiched between two cars at night, it's also has lighting, so it's all lit up under the parking area. i also use the forklock & security system.
i don't worry about it getting jacked,, if it does, i'll get a new SG.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lo Jack won't prevent it be you might be able to track the a-holes that took it. Hopefully before the thing is completely parted out.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

park it in the house..

Old 05-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Hdard
Advanced
Default security

I have a tracking device on my 08 UC. It is GPS/Cellular technology. I also have good insurance but I don't want them to steal my bike period. I geo fence it when not riding and if it moves more than 10 feet I get a message on my Blackberry which then automatically tracks it on Google Earth. I could be thousands of miles away from home and the system still works. If it moves I call the police but thankfully that hasn't happened. 30 day battery life and then just recharge. Unit was under $400 and monitoring is $10/mth. Works for me.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Weed's Ironscoot
Grouchy, hungry big dog.

about the easiest thing to get past...

Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
1. Buy cable lock. Attach one end to an eyebolt in the floor. You'll want to recess the eyebolt so you can roll the bike into the garage without hitting it. Being below floor level, it will tend to accumulate water, so cut a groove in the garage floor to give the water a drain path. Make sure the groove runs downhill. You should cut it about 1" wide, then lay a 1/2" piece of PVC pipe into the groove and cover it with asphalt, tar, or Quick-Crete. Attach the other end of the cable lock to the safety pin of an M-67 fragmentation grenade. Using a small amount of duct tape, attach the grenade to the front forks, taking care not to tape the "spoon" to the body of the M-67.

2. Put a webcam in the garage. Connect it to a spare computer running Dorgem. Set the Dorgem program to take photos when it detects motion.

You'll lose your bike, but the photos will go viral on YouTube and you'll be so famous, Harley will give you a brand new bike. No, really! They really do stuff like that! (I read it on the Internet).

Roo!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Chain a big mean f***kin rotwiler to the bike

Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you have full coverage insurance and that they cover the mods you have done.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by roosterboots
at first, i thought you meant "disc" lock, but then i realized that you would have warned against trying to drive off. Of course! Dick locks still allow you to drive away...if you're locked to the fork! Silly me. Just remember never to lock the dick to anything like a signpost or a fire hydrant. Driving off without removing the lock in those situations would be highly distracting.

bwaaaaahhaaaaaaa!!!

Quick Reply: Keep it from getting stolen