General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it from getting stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it from someone who has had over $25,000 stolen in the past 11 years: Do everything you can, and if they want it, it won't be enough. INSURANCE is the best.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My genuine "Honda Motorcycles" bike cover seems to be working out pretty good so far!

Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 AM
BugDr
Road Master

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Take it from someone who has had over $25,000 stolen in the past 11 years: Do everything you can, and if they want it, it won't be enough. INSURANCE is the best.
+1 Insurance is the best way. The other things that I do, are to keep it in a garage - out of sight, out of mind - with no garage, I would put in a gated storage facility. I also use a disc lock as well and have the factory security system. As everyone has said, if a determined thief is after it, they will get it anyway. The dealerships are pretty happy with the factory security systems, but most thieves will part it out anyway - macht nichts.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I am looking into tracking devices that can be put on the bike where they can't be found, IE inside the frame. With GPS tracking, hopefully that will be one more tool in the arsenal.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I am looking into tracking devices that can be put on the bike where they can't be found, IE inside the frame. With GPS tracking, hopefully that will be one more tool in the arsenal.
Radio Shack sells the device you're looking for. However, a professional thief will remove it real quick. These things don't work indoors. Thieves will roll it into a van and - POOF! No more GPS, while they work in privacy.

Insurance...check!
Big-*** lock...still hangin' on the wall.
No-name bike cover...check! (but thieves will know what's underneath...they've been watching you).
IR Camera in garage...check!

Recommend a motion sensor hooked to a car battery, setting off a 12-volt firebell and a 139-db air horn inside the garage. May not stop 'em, but their ears will ring for a week!

Roo!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:36 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sleep with it

Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Back in the 70s crime was bad in our hometown. Mom and I had each other, and that was it. She ran one wire off of a drop cord to a clothes rack, hung it over the door, and plugged it in each night. We heard a few screams from time to time, but no bodies laying on the porch. I bet that would work for bikes too, but I don't know how the juice would affect the electronics inside.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Witty Soul
Banned
Default lock it

always use whatever lock the bike came with/fork. but a dick lock to use on your front brake just dont forget the cable to the bars so u remember its there before driving off

Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

Originally Posted by Witty Soul
always use whatever lock the bike came with/fork. but a dick lock to use on your front brake just dont forget the cable to the bars so u remember its there before driving off
At first, I thought you meant "disc" lock, but then I realized that you would have warned against TRYING to drive off. Of course! DICK locks still allow you to drive away...if you're locked to the fork! Silly me. Just remember never to lock the dick to anything like a signpost or a fire hydrant. Driving off without removing the lock in those situations would be highly distracting.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 AM
TReaper
Cruiser

Maybe you could place the bike on the trigger and catch them in the act. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Keep it from getting stolen