Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it from getting stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:48 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,402 Likes on 22,397 Posts

Just buy an enclosed motorcycle trailer, just not with anything painted, decaled or stenciled on the trailer that identifies it as such. and there you have your storage from the elements plus, and then all you have to worry about is someone stealing the trailer too. LOLOL!!
Just remember though that the more precautions you take the more of a chance you have in keeping your bike... when it's all said done, cut and dried..

Last edited by lionsm13; 05-07-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:38 AM
1Texan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some great ideas here, thanks. $75 X 12= $900 yr for storage...maybe I'll just sell the townhouse and buy something with a garage...
As for the guy asking about 2006 SG's, read the Dyna forums (or better don't) regarding at least 4 major problems that harley didn't recall for...but should have.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
meroush
Advanced

Pickup an enclosed two wheel trailer that will fit in your car port and lock it up and the lock the hitch, out of sight.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by piggy
another idea is, COVER IT with one of those bike tents( out of sight out of mind) Tell ya neighbors to keep an eye out( case it is stolen or messed with< while ya gone, THEY can call the police.( along with the granade, Chain DOG< etc)
Make sure the bike cover has a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki logo on it.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Texan
Some great ideas here, thanks. $75 X 12= $900 yr for storage...maybe I'll just sell the townhouse and buy something with a garage...
As for the guy asking about 2006 SG's, read the Dyna forums (or better don't) regarding at least 4 major problems that harley didn't recall for...but should have.
most facilities will give you a break if you pay for a whole year up front... & DON'T FORGET renters insurance!

Old 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weed's Ironscoot
Grouchy, hungry big dog.
Grouchy, hungry big dog...that somehow associates the bike with getting fed.

+1 on rolling the bike into the townhouse if that's possible. I've known a few that stored their bike like that when they were away from home. I've been lucky that I've either owned a POS nobody would want, or had a garage when I owned nicer bikes. Now, there's the first time I've ever thought of being lucky to have owned a POS bike.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plain and simple you can't prevent it from getting stolen if they really want it. Criminals especially ones that jack hawgs really don't waste a lot time cutting chains etc. Saw a clip on youtube about how easy chains are cut with bolt cutters. Longest it took to cut thru the top rated chain was about 50 sec., forks locks not real hard to break em if you really want to.

Trailer, hell they will steal the trailer too. Hitch locks are really strong, lost the key to mine not too long ago won't say how I did it but it took me less than a minute to snap off from under the truck.

Do the best you can with what you got. Yes I have a disc lock, lock the bars, turn on the alarm etc but at best I know in my mind it's only a deterrent to less than professionals.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Make sure the bike cover has a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki logo on it.
Perfect...I like this option - it's probably the cheapest.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:24 AM
TReaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance. Look at this way, if it gets stolen then you get to go out and get a newer bike and not the 06 SG that you said is not one of Harley's better years.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:30 AM
RyKR
Cruiser

When I lived in Columbus there were a couple of bikes stolen. Three dudes would just pick it up and lay it over into the bed of their truck and take off. Yeah they might do some cosmetic damage but look at all of those other great parts!

Quick Reply: Keep it from getting stolen