General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 years of riding until yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 AM
blackrever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my own run in with the law this year wearing my novelty helmet.Been wearing one off and on for 11 years.Had a NYS Park Police officer pull me over and told me the samething about cracking down on non dot helmets.Explained to me officers are getting more training and pressure to spot and ticket.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote
Couple of my buddies put on DOT stickers, but to look at their buckets, you know there not DOT.
Had a buddy get a ticket in NY for a non DOT with the fake sticker....the NY state trooper pulls him over and starts writing him the ticket. My friend says "this is a DOT helmet". The trooper just smiles and says " tell it to the judge my friend" So my bud paid the waiver by mail which I think was about $80. Big cash generator for NY.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 AM
wwNightster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
Come on guys!...how can the helmet law NOT be in violation of the constitution....especially when SOME people are excempt from wearing them for certain reasons. This has to be the same in both countries....

isn't there a lawyer who reads these forums who could shed some light on this and maybe look into it.?
/Sigh.
Helmet laws do not violate your constitutional rights. The right to operate a motorcycle without protective headgear is never enumerated with the Bill of Rights of the subsequent amendments.

Highways are and public streets / roads are property of the state. You have no legal right to operate a motor vehicle on state property, it is a privilege granted by the state. Privileges are conditional, such as a valid license, tax paid on the vehicle, etc etc.

Lay off the rights crap, it isn't a right, it's a privilege granted at the states discretion.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by dragpipe
hey DU,
i had the same problem with it sitting too high. carefully cut the felt liner at the front, and peel it back exposing the foam shell. take an angle grinder and a sanding disc or flapwheel and carve the inside out to fit yer head. spray glue the liner back down and no-ones the wiser.
works fer me man.
There ya go! I have to "modify" my helmet to fit correctly. Keeps it from acting like a sail stuck on top of my head.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 AM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No helmet law here!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Bear_925
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try one of these, they are pretty slim for DOT approved helmets, not so bulky. They are carbon fiber. http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/kyakhelmets.php

Old 05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bear_925
You could try one of these, they are pretty slim for DOT approved helmets, not so bulky. They are carbon fiber. http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/kyakhelmets.php
Those aren't DOT approved helmets, they're whitewater kayaking helmets.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ole Coyote
Couple of my buddies put on DOT stickers, but to look at their buckets, you know there not DOT. One got a ticket and one got a warning, go figure. I've tried many helmets and they all look like mushrooms.
Coyote
C'mon, really, what could be better than to ride down the rode looking like a 6 foot tall, circumsized *****!?!