General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 years of riding until yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
dragpipe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey DU,
i had the same problem with it sitting too high. carefully cut the felt liner at the front, and peel it back exposing the foam shell. take an angle grinder and a sanding disc or flapwheel and carve the inside out to fit yer head. spray glue the liner back down and no-ones the wiser.
works fer me man.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
bks6721
Tourer

Join ABATE, change the laws.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clutch13
And what section of the Constitution would it be violating?

Don't get me wrong, I hate helmet laws, but nothing about it is unconstitutional.
the freedom of religion part...and freedom of choice....I'm trying to come up with any angle or loophole I can to take to the human rights board.....same as the sikhs.....they claim it's against their religion to wear helmets as they have turbans....well...

if you're catholic...doesn't it say in the bible that we're supposed to put our trust in god ( hell even US money has "in god we trust") and we have to believe that he will watch over us and hold us in his protective hands...well if we wear a helmet isn't that saying we don't trust in god to protect us....and wouldn't that be considered going against my religion?

like I said many times before....it should be a CHOICE....if the helmet laws were a choice I would probably still wear one....it's only common sense I think..but we should have the choice...and if there are laws I think the laws should apply to EVERYONE.....the fact that I'm being discriminated against by being FORCED to wear a helmet while others are not is unconstitutional.

Am I making any sense here....or am I just messed up?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Clutch13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
the freedom of religion part...and freedom of choice....I'm trying to come up with any angle or loophole I can to take to the human rights board.....same as the sikhs.....they claim it's against their religion to wear helmets as they have turbans....well...

if you're catholic...doesn't it say in the bible that we're supposed to put our trust in god ( hell even US money has "in god we trust") and we have to believe that he will watch over us and hold us in his protective hands...well if we wear a helmet isn't that saying we don't trust in god to protect us....and wouldn't that be considered going against my religion?

like I said many times before....it should be a CHOICE....if the helmet laws were a choice I would probably still wear one....it's only common sense I think..but we should have the choice...and if there are laws I think the laws should apply to EVERYONE.....the fact that I'm being discriminated against by being FORCED to wear a helmet while others are not is unconstitutional.

Am I making any sense here....or am I just messed up?
Actually there was a case not too long ago (think it was in NY) that some guy argued that he couldn't wear a helmet because of religious reasons (he wore a turban). The judge shot it down.

We should have a choice, but there's no Constitutional amendment for, "Freedom of Choice".

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Clutch13
Actually there was a case not too long ago (think it was in NY) that some guy argued that he couldn't wear a helmet because of religious reasons (he wore a turban). The judge shot it down.

We should have a choice, but there's no Constitutional amendment for, "Freedom of Choice".

The judge shot it down??.....cripes here they embrassed it....I see them all over the place riding their harleys with no lids of any kind on......and in our legions wearing their turbans....and in our RCMP (another reason why respect for the RCMP has disappeared)

anything they wanted they got....yet we have to abide by laws that are designated, it seems, to certain groups only.

I'm just wondering if I'm waisting my time with this or not.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Clutch13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
The judge shot it down??.....cripes here they embrassed it....I see them all over the place riding their harleys with no lids of any kind on......and in our legions wearing their turbans....and in our RCMP (another reason why respect for the RCMP has disappeared)

anything they wanted they got....yet we have to abide by laws that are designated, it seems, to certain groups only.

I'm just wondering if I'm waisting my time with this or not.
Well hell then...give it a shot. The worst that can happen is you'll have to pay a no lid fine.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:15 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rafael53
To tell the truth I personally don't care to much as far as that "mushroom head" look with these DOT helmets....of course be better if they didn't. The straps are my issues. So far I've gotten 3 (1 1/4 and 2 3/4...I guess that's the proper term) that are pretty comfortable except for the strap. Oh...and the noise.

I don't wear one since we don't have to here in Florida but would prefer to if I could only find one that doesn't feel like it's choking me all the time....still looking
They all feel like that when you first start to wear a helmet; pick the one you like and wear it, the choking feeling will go away in no time.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:30 PM
dhubley
Cruiser

I think it is like the laws requiring seat belt usage. There were some that fought that and it was shot down, even when they showed that "not wearing" a seat belt can save your life.

There are times when being thrown from a car is better then being trapped in it. A young girl hit my wife a few years back and the girl did not have a seat belt on. She was thrown through the window with only a few scarthes. They had to cut my wife out of the car and she had to have surgery. You never know.

I don't think you will have a constitutional argument since the seat belt laws stood.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Only chumps wear DOT helmets or pay federal income taxes. I don't have to wear a helmet ever since I declared myself a sovereign nation.

Kidding, of course. I don't think there's a constitutional argument against traffic laws. Here in Wa state, the police seem to love their helmet laws. One of my riding buddies got a ticket last year because he was wearing his helmet backwards. It was one of those polo style helmets, and he likes to wear it with the bill behind him so it doesn't lift. The trooper told him that wearing it that way negated it's DOT rating. My bud hired a lawyer and beat the ticket in court. It probably cost him more for the lawyer than it would have been for the ticket, but at least he beat it.

Helmet laws suck. There's no other word for it. I wear a DOT helmet because it's the law here. I don't give a sh*t what it looks like. My criteria is (1) cheap, (2) fits in my saddlebag, and (3) DOT legal.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:05 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wear assless chaps and fingerless gloves and pirates doorags as a fashion statement.
And then complain about wearing a mushroom on your head?
This is in no way pointed at anyone in particular, jus sayin' LOL
When in a non helmet state I rarely wear one, but because I live in a Helmet Required state i might as well wear a DOT helmet. I'd rather look like a mushroom than a *****!

Quick Reply: 8 years of riding until yesterday...