General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 years of riding until yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a shame. Down here we don't even have a lid law? I sport one - saw a guy go down with out and from then on have almost always had it on. Some times I forget and leave it hanging on the passanger peg - as soon as I turn left and hear it scrape I stop and put in on.
Yet to see a DOT approved lit as cool as my little German brain bucket.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been stopped/pulled over a few times and every time they want to see my helmet....They give it a quick inspect and then return it without too much fuss but it's a little annoying. For some guys I'm sure that alone would be enough to change helmets but I'm stubborn, besides I figure if they don't look at that then they'll pull me over for my pipes or just because I'm ugly WHATEVER!!

Mine's a carbon fibre half lid made by AKOURY. I think they import them and slap their name on it but I bought it at the stealer for way too much money. It's DOT and it's a lot better made and looks 1000% better than my "Skid Lid" 1/2 Helmet.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what happened to this forum, but you used to be able to count on plenty of help when needed...

You guys didn't offer any help to Thorey, in locating a decent sig pic. I think we should all show just how appreciative we are of his willingness to put up with all our BS, and FIND HIM A NEW SIG PIC!

Here's my donation...

Oh, and he may also have a need for some new tunez fer his pleasure ridin...

Yer welcome, Thorey! LOL!!!
http://www.youtube.com/video_respons...?v=VTArlayONhY

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-mushro...7b8d048205cb55

http://www.coreaction.com/index.php?...&vid_id=103098

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-128...l_music_video/

Last edited by CroK; 05-06-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. We've actually gotten the CHP to back off on ticketing for so-called "novelty" helmets. Several years ago we got the 9th Circuit Court to agree with us that a cop could not make an assumption on the side of the road as to whether or not a helmet was DOT compliant. That slowed them up a bit, but some officers, both CHP and local, still wrote tickets. They were, and are, fairly easy to beat in court if you knew what you were doing.

Last year we did get the CHP to petition the Judicial Review Board to make a helmet ticket a "fix-it" ticket. So if you don't want to take the time to fight a ticket, you can show a DOT compliant helmet and pay a $10 paperwork fee.

What it comes down to is that the CHP, with rare exceptions, doesn't bother writing tickets for beanie helmets any longer. It's not worth their time.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

A guy in Danville Va got stopped because he had painted over the dot letters.. The helmet didn't have a sticker, it actually had dot painted on it from the factory. It was a full helmet, and was dot compliant. They made him scrape the paint off of the dot lettering.

I wear a full helmet, I guess you call it, with a full face shield. Too many rocks have hit me, not to mention bugs at night. No thanx, don't want to eat any more bugs or take em in the eyes anymore.

RD

Last edited by RandyDowdy; 08-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Freakin Deacon
Sorry Thorey!, But it's cool the Trooper let you slide. I'm just down the road from you and It's true, they are cracking down. A friend of mine got stopped a few weeks ago for the same reason. He had benn drinking,... not a happy ending.
Did Stan's hook you up?
That's alright...I somewhat was prepared for their cracking down on novelty helmets until I became their target yesterday. Got stopped in Bergen, South of 33A on Rt. 19 by the old Massey Ferguson Tractor dealer. He didn't let me slide, but gave me ticket anyways. Don't know how much the fine will be.

As for your buddy, Come on...Just wished that he could hold off the drinking part until he had put the keys or bike away for the night. I got slapped with DWI way back in 1990 and never looked back cuz I'm not spending thousands of dollars on attorney fees, fines and whatnot.

I went down to Varysburg HD first to check out and see if they got helmet for me. Nothing. So, I went up to Stan's HD and found what I wanted.

Thorey

Old 05-06-2010, 01:40 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by CroK
I don't know what happened to this forum, but you used to be able to count on plenty of help when needed...

You guys didn't offer any help to Thorey, in locating a decent sig pic. I think we should all show just how appreciative we are of his willingness to put up with all our BS, and FIND HIM A NEW SIG PIC!

Here's my donation...

Oh, and he may also have a need for some new tunez fer his pleasure ridin...

Yer welcome, Thorey! LOL!!!
http://www.youtube.com/video_respons...?v=VTArlayONhY

http://www.mojvideo.com/video-mushro...7b8d048205cb55

http://www.coreaction.com/index.php?...&vid_id=103098

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-128...l_music_video/
LOL !. Thanks for your "donation" and humor which got me laughing my **** off, LOL.

Thorey

Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley_badboy
Here in Ontario, Canada we have the helmet laws as well - it sucks but probably best for us all. It would be better though if we had the choice to wear it or not.
Come on guys!...how can the helmet law NOT be in violation of the constitution....especially when SOME people are excempt from wearing them for certain reasons. This has to be the same in both countries....

isn't there a lawyer who reads these forums who could shed some light on this and maybe look into it.?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Clutch13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
Come on guys!...how can the helmet law NOT be in violation of the constitution....especially when SOME people are excempt from wearing them for certain reasons. This has to be the same in both countries....

isn't there a lawyer who reads these forums who could shed some light on this and maybe look into it.?
And what section of the Constitution would it be violating?

Don't get me wrong, I hate helmet laws, but nothing about it is unconstitutional.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 PM
harleygeezer
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started wearing a Vega XTS half helmet recently and really like it over the other 1/2 helmets I have. It's comfortable and doesn't give the mushroom head like a lot of the 1/2 helmets.

Quick Reply: 8 years of riding until yesterday...