General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 years of riding until yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
n2thecraft
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have to wear a bucket here in Washington state too. I wear a full face cuz the DOT half buckets make my head look too much like my junk. Hell, if I had a beard and pink half bucket,, might just drive the chickies wild,,,,, have to think about that one.

I can see the insurance companies bitchin about helmets being a must, but a state law? Really? Are you kidding me? My helmet is much more dangerous than not wearing one at all. Since we have to wear helmets here, I was forced to put a comm unit in it,, now I gotta hear the ol' lady squakin the whole time we ride,,, like nails down a chalkboard. It'd be alot safer is all I hear is wind.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
karlmdog
Tourer

Sometimes you have to roll with the punches. If you live in a state with an existing helmet law and all they're busting you for is DOT compliance, what ya gonna do? It is what it is. It's only a big deal if you make it into one. Welcome to the world of mushroom heads, you'll get used to it, it ain't so bad!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Picked up or pulled over? Picked up sounds like they came to your house and took you away. ; )

Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 AM
eisterd
Road Captain

Hard to believe they don't have something better to do. I noticed in PA they don't have a helmet law, but they have to have the inspection sticker to show the bike is safe, and put it in a dumbazz spot. I saw alot of bikes on the way to FL having to stop and put lid on/off at state lines. bike laws are Fugged

Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Heard the same on the increased enforcement. On Sundays Route 22 Croton Falls NY local Part Time PD sets up a check point to F**CK up your day. Talked to a guy last year got his bike impounded on I 84 West Fishkill NY. For non DOT lid by the State Police. Aha It is what it is.
yup in the same area as you and the cops are everywhere been stopped three times already, twice at a "checkpoint", had my helmet checked, inspection checked, been followed, tailgated, and all around harassed a lot recently.

then the same bike cop in New Paltz who pulled me over for no other reason than to try and ticket me (i'm fully legal though) has the ***** to wave at me the next weekend like we're somehow kin because we're both on bikes? stick your hand up your *** pal.

the problem up where we live is we have town police, village police, sometimes city police in Newburgh and Middletown, and state police. we probably have four or five times the amount of police than needed for most of these areas (except city of Newburgh and Middletown). so in order to justify their jobs and our tax dollars they have to ticket like crazy. i've been given a 34 in a 30 speeding ticket in Florida NY (but i'm sure the cop has never gone 34 in a 30 before, hypocrite).

it's weird when I lived in NYC i liked and respected the cops, moving upstate has given me a real disdain for them. cops in NYC were too busy with actual crimes and criminals to have time to harass the regular folks. cops upstate make a living out of harassing the local law abiding citizens because there's just not enough criminals to justify their jobs and full pensions at 45.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To tell the truth I personally don't care to much as far as that "mushroom head" look with these DOT helmets....of course be better if they didn't. The straps are my issues. So far I've gotten 3 (1 1/4 and 2 3/4...I guess that's the proper term) that are pretty comfortable except for the strap. Oh...and the noise.

I don't wear one since we don't have to here in Florida but would prefer to if I could only find one that doesn't feel like it's choking me all the time....still looking

Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
crash101
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got pulled over yesterday and was wearing my beanie helmet.No hassle from the cop at all,but i did leave my helmet on. Someone told me never take your beanie off when the cops pull you over,seemed to work for me.Oh the reason i got pulled over was the number 8 on my license plate looked like a "B" ????

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Clump
Tourer
Received 196 Likes on 54 Posts

We went through this last spring in the People's Republic of Maryland. 2 buddies each got $100 helmet tickets on different days from a Sherriff's Deputy. The Deputy told them both that they had a grant from federal DOT to step up helmet enforcement.

Went and got $65 DOT helmets. Not too bad of a mushroom head and got used to it. Have not heard of any enforcement yet this spring.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Freakin Deacon
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry Thorey!, But it's cool the Trooper let you slide. I'm just down the road from you and It's true, they are cracking down. A friend of mine got stopped a few weeks ago for the same reason. He had benn drinking,... not a happy ending.
Did Stan's hook you up?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

don't have to wear here, but when I do, colder weather, the wind buffering effect on the helmet is bad when I do. Makes my vision blurry.

Quick Reply: 8 years of riding until yesterday...