General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another wreck story, bad nerves

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
larry harding
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another wreck story, bad nerves

i guess i'm just another guy going through the motorcycle phase, started in my teens and i will be 65 next month. rode em, wrenched on em, even did a little competetion back in my younger days. i have a small collection of older bikes and scooters i love to work on and ride. me n' the boss lady ride my 05 road king every chance we get. life was great until two weeks ago when an 85 year old in a caddy suv pulled out in front of us. luckily we had just taken off and were still in first. the bike is still ridable until i can get a new front fender etc. to put it back in shape. we got a lot of bumps and bruses, but nothig serious. i have ridden several times since the accident, but it ain't the same, i'm way more nervous while riding and wonder about the people who ask what is a fool my age doing on a motorcycle in the first place. the last real wreck i had was in 72, an old man in pick up pulled out in front of me. i t-boned him and have a left arm with some loss of mobility from that experience. i was back on the bike as soon as i was able and have ridden ever since. 38 years sure make a difference in the way you look at things. i know i won't quit ridding, but wonder if i will ever be as comfortable as before. i kinda look up to robert d. raifored (if you listen to johnboy and billy, you know who he is) he is in his 80's i think and still doing the kyle petty ride. any other oldsters having second thoughts about riding after an accident?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always slow down at intersections and check to make sure that everyone see's me and i can tell just by looking who's in the cage and if they pose a threat to me,this is just common sense defensive driving which we all need to learn with everyone texting and driving with rage!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

65 here also and had an accident last Thanksgiving day. I was off the road for over 3 months healing. The last month I have been out riding and it is slow going. I am venturing out in small trips to build up stamina and strength again. I try to go out every day schedule allows and when I do I try to go further than the previous trip. Take it slow and easy and you will get back to where you were. Where there is a will there is a way as the saying goes. Glad you and your lady are ok and still riding.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing you can still ride. I'ts better than sitting in your house all bored.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
cchips
Ultimate HDF Member

It's not an age thing. I went down in the rain back in October due to a homeless person running out in front of me. Fortunately only 5 broken ribs for me, and nothing to her. I got my bike fixed, healed up and am riding. I have to tell you my first couple of rides when I was out riding and it started raining caused me to pucker up on a couple of curves. I forced myself through it and kept on riding. I will probably still feel uncomfortable riding in the rain, but I am not going to stop riding,

Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM
jrr
Cruiser
Default Ride on

Accident last September - nothing serious, sprained ankle and wrist, a few cuts and bruises - my fault. I was back riding immediately and had no problems with nerves. Don't worry, the aprehension will go away. It may be a good thing to be out of our comfort zone for a while to keep us on our toes After riding for 50 years (started at 11 I'm 61 now) we tend to get a little too comfortable. Ride on!!! (but be careful out there)

Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 57. Been riding since I was about 12. On the street since 17. In 2005 I started feeling like everyone out there wanted to hit me. I sold my harley and didn't ride for two years. Got the 07 in may 07 and have 26,000 miles on it. The feeling went away. The break was really good for me.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a really good friend try to beat a train at a crossing years ago, he made it through, one arm is shorter than the other, but he still rides, and yes, he doesn't pull this stupid testosterone crap after that. If you get the crabs once you're gonna give up sex???

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
CATchaser
Cruiser

I'm not quite your age yet, but I can relate to what you are feeling. I was in a bad MC wreck 22 yrs ago (my fault, going way too fast on narrow road, hit a Chev truck head on, put my helmet through the windshield, then went off a 40' bank into a creek below). It was 6 months before I could walk again, and I occasionally felt panic years later, even when driving my car.
Although I eventually got comfortable riding again, I know many others that never have. I've seen a few people give up riding completely after witnessing another person's wreck.

Only time will tell, and only you will know the right answer.

Last edited by CATchaser; 05-05-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2010, 09:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I'm 70 and have been riding since 1956. I have always ridden with the assumption that everyone is going to pull out in front of me, turn in front of me, run into my rear, change lanes into me and otherwise aim at me deliberately.

So I always am ready to hit the brakes and clutch and have slowed a bit in readiness.

In the 70's I even had a State Trooper pull out from a side road stop sign and I was ready. I saw that he never looked to his right to even see me or a mack truck.

Trying to make eye contact is the first line of defense.

I manage to enjoy the rides with the level of focus for defensive driving. I feel that it is just part of the game whether on a bike or in the car. All the same.

If you are uncomfortable, use your best judgement. Riding is to enjoy not worry about.

We all have to decide when we should give it up.

Quick Reply: another wreck story, bad nerves