Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to bend the backrest a bit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
06GliderGuy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to bend the backrest a bit

Just bought a Street Glide and the wife feels a little cramped, as her backrest sits straight up and down. Has anyone successfully bent those back a bit to give a little bit of a natural lean back, and give her some room.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for an adjustment screw on the backside..where the post goes into the backrest..

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 338 Likes on 194 Posts

If it's the rider backrest you can put some washers under the mounting base to change the angle a bit, also some have bent them to get the angle "right".

Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you bend it I feel certain you would crack the chrome and begin showing rust.

The only thing I can think of would be to change out the foam in the backrest to something thinner.

You got me on this one???? And you are talking about the "passenger" backrest, aren't you.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the tall or short B/rest frame?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
06GliderGuy
Tourer

Yes this is the passenger backrest. And it is the standard height one. i believe there is a shorter and a taller model available. My Road Star had an angle to it, which the Mrs really liked. This one is straight up and down. It is also the quick release version.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 PM
hobbes2
Cruiser

Yes, you can ,and without any damage. Did this to mine 2 years ago with no problems yet. If you know anyone with a press. If you carfully cover the chrome with tape and then a shop rag you can press them to any angle you wish. Dont go more than a inch though cause the chrome plate will only give so much.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:10 AM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

several years ago i bent the backrest by covering where i wanted the bend with a shop rag and used an 18" pipe wrench as a lever to bend each side to the desired angle. has worked fine since with no corrosion or pealing problem.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06GliderGuy
Yes this is the passenger backrest. And it is the standard height one. i believe there is a shorter and a taller model available. My Road Star had an angle to it, which the Mrs really liked. This one is straight up and down. It is also the quick release version.
If it's a detachable there is a post on here somewhere on how to drill and relocate the mounting bracket. Basically you drill a hole down a bit further on the bracket, angling the backrest back. The hole only moves about 3/8", but the angle difference was perfect. If I get time to find the post I'll link it here.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I've done it. Before I bent mine, I relocated the rear mount. The front mount stayed where it was, but I drilled new holes which rotated the backrest back and down an inch and a half. My wife didn't like the feel of the backrest after though, so I put the mounts back. I then bent the bar and moved the backrest pad three quarters of an inch or so back. Don't try bending it on the bike, you might damage the mounts. I clamped mine down to a bench and used a 2x4 to get the leverage.Made a lot of difference to her. We are by no means heavy people, but find Harley touring bikes cramped riding 2 up.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to bend the backrest a bit