General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!

Sometimes, through the long winter months I get envious of you guys in the south with your long riding season, and warm temperatures. Our bikes in Alaska sit "undercover" for 6 months out of the year, sometimes longer. But it's days like today that make it all worth the wait!

When I left the house around 10:00am the temperatures were climbing through the 40's into the 50's ...with the promise of clear skies, sunshine, and high 50's. Riding alone, I headed south down the Glenn Highway, through Anchorage, and out onto the Seward Highway. The plan was to head to Girdwood Alaska for a "Beer-N-Burger" lunch. I also wanted to stop along the way and get a few pictures of my new 2010 Street Glide to grace my computer screens and friends "in-boxes".

As some of you know ...the Seward Highway in Alaska is world famous for it's amazing views, Alaska unique wildlife encounters, and wonderful sweeping costal roadway. If you haven't ridden it, I highly recommend it ...as well as riding some of the other scenic highways in Alaska.

The ride, although short, turned out to be awesome! Not being the weekend, I had open road around me to cruise and sweep at will. I didn't get any wildlife in the picture (Moose, Dall Sheep, Eagles, and even Whales are common along this route) ...but I did get some good pictures of the bike as planned. The temperatures climbed into the high 50's, and tickled 60 degrees. Lunch at "Chair 5" was great ...A Jalapeno Burger with a local wheat beer. On the way back home, the bikes were coming out of the woodwork! I hooked up with three guys coming off of the Kenai Penninsula on softails (one of wich was a sweet a$$ CVO Springer!) and road with them through the city ...then finished-up solo the rest of the way home, north to Chugiak.

Anyway ...here are a few pics of my new Street Glide with Alaska in the background.

By-the-way, if you get down this way ...stop at the "Chair 5" resturant in Girdwood Alaska. They have great pizza and beer!

How about it Alaska riders ...any pics of the spring rides to post? "Sound off" if your an Alaska rider!

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-001.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-005.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-022.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-024.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-026.jpg

Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it was a balmy 46 here in WA today, so don't feel bad. Rain, hail, sun and snow in the local foothills..... Nice pics, and you have a beautiful place to live year round. Don't forget 23 hrs of daylight for a few weeks as well

Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks awesome and great looking bike. I have been to Alaska several times for work in the last few years and on one trip I was lucky enough to do a three day fly and ride out of Anchorage on Labor day weekend and rode the first day down to seward and then back to Anchorage to Telkeetna back to Anchorage and then the second day rode up the Glen Allen to Vadez spent the night in Vadez and then back the next day stopping at Hatchers pass. I could have kept riding except I ran out of daylight and did not like the idea of a moose bike encounter. Had seen several whales, eagles, and bear along the route. Had two bears cross in front of me heading into Valdez. Totally awesome scenic riding and great memory. I really love the big state of Alaska and hope to ride all the way there someday. Enjoy the new bike and have fun in all that great scenery.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 AM
scarpetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im from the midwest and round these parts we aint got nuthin on those views. beautiful backdrop and great looking scoot!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 AM
uncle bo
Cruiser

hey ak.we are planning a trip to alaska this july.is it ok to pm you and ask you some questions about alaska?thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

uncle bo ...yeah, hit-me-up Bro. I'll answer what I can for ya!

scubamike ...sounds like you had a great ride in Alaska!

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 05-05-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

The light was so good outside today, it made my cheapo 5 year old pocket digital camera look great! Look close into the saddlebags in picture #3 and you can see the snow-capped mountains on the other side of "Turnagain Arm". I can only imagine the pics I could have gotten on a day like today with a good DSLR camera and the knowledge to use it!

A few more pics of the new scoot ....

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-002.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-006.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-015.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-020.jpg

Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!-spring-ride-may-2010-011.jpg

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 05-05-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 AM
coliseum
Tourer

Well, I prefer cold over heat any time! Temps starting to hit 100f!

Its the other way around over here, my bike sits for 4-6months due to the heat!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt about it, when you get to ride, you got everybody beat for scenic rides. Low tonight here is 65 degrees. I moved from Mt. Rainier to get closer to the equator. Took both bikes out for a ride today with temps in low 90's.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:41 AM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by coliseum
Well, I prefer cold over heat any time! Temps starting to hit 100f!

Its the other way around over here, my bike sits for 4-6months due to the heat!!!

Don't know how you do it over there Dude. I did some time in the desert myself. Can't imagine living and riding there ...frikin hot!

Quick Reply: Beautiful Day in Alaska Today!