General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Subu
thanks man, that's not a bad looking DOT helmet at all!
head trips is no longer making DOT helmets, they've been recalled. and it isn't nearly as small as reported it's quite bulbous, ill fitting, and mushroom head like.

this is the link to the head trips (ACC) recall:

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/recall.html

Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

You must live in a cave ACC helmets have been recalled & taken off the market. They are not DOT approved any longer. Do a HDF search & you will have plenty to read.

Edit:babalu beat me to it!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
BigBrad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others there isn't much available that are slim. I wear a HCI polo helmet and it's about as good as I could find that meet DOT specs. I like the style and it's a pretty comfortable helmet.
http://discounthelmetfactory.com/pro...oss-Black.html

I hear people like the Daytona helmet as well.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Subu
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a heartbreaker, and explains why I couldn't find any for sale anywhere.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
rlggray
Tourer

Try Vega XTS naked.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Or... if you don't want to cut the strap for whatever reason, you can sew some Velcro on to hold it in place. I did that when I added a quick release to my helmet.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser

Alright, strap easy solve. It's the concept.

I have to wear a DOT helmet, military and ride on base everyday. Was just wondering if anyone knew a good and slim dot helmet.
I feel your pain, but if it's not really the function you're after, get yourself the lid of choice, affix DOT sticker, ride on! Of course you know the safety risks.

Last edited by Cattivo; 05-05-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 AM
alauer
Intermediate

Subu,
I have had the same problem. I bought the most expensive helmet harley makes (the all carbon fiber) and hate it. It seems like it pulls on your neck terribly even though its super lite. Let me know if you find a good solution with the extra large chin strap.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

There are quite a few helmet threads going on right now.

I have cut and paste my response to one of the other threads. As you can see I have spent a lot of $$ and time trying to find the right one.

Someone already mentioned Vega, and they are nice, but i prefer the Daytona. See below.

OK. the verdict is in. After spending about $500 on half helments I have finally found the one i like.

I own an ACC helmet that has been recalled. And I recently purchased the Vega XTS and the Daytona. I had already had a HD 1/2 helmet as well.

So my opinion:

HD helmet is the worst. http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US
Size Small. (Mine has the HD shield log not the skull, but same design) It has about 2 inches of padding on the inside and lifted and pulled my head back constantly. Any one want it?

ACC helmet:
size Medium. has only 3/4 inches of padding and sits low profile. fit is well but there is a little lift at highway speeds and the straps are not the most comfortable. But it has been recalled.

Vega XTS: http://www.vegahelmet.com/xts_naked.html
size Small. Had to buy small even though their chart recommended medium based on my head size. fits very well. no lift. If you have an oblong shaped head these will fit you very well. the outer shell is the same width as the ACC, but it is a little longer due to the oblong shape. fits better than ACC but sits a little higher on the head.

Daytona: http://www.daytonahelmets.com/home/d...om_colors.html
size Small. Had to buy small even though their chart recommended medium based on my head size. fits very well with no lift at highway speeds. the best straps of the bunch. the loops look like plastic, but they are aluminum. this fitsd better than the ACC and the outer shell is actually just a tiny bit smaller. This sits a little higher on the head than the ACC due to the 1 inch of padding as opposed to the 3/4 inch padding in the ACC.

Bottom line. For me and my head shape it is the Daytona. But if you have an oblong head the vega is nearly as small and may work better for you.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master

Alright, strap easy solve. It's the concept.

I have to wear a DOT helmet, military and ride on base everyday. Was just wondering if anyone knew a good and slim dot helmet.
i wear this. it doesn't give you the "mushroom-head" look.
http://www.motorcycle-helmets.com/Po...p/105black.htm

Quick Reply: Helmet help!