Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Fenderless

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J-Train
After looking at others scoots I decided to take the front fender off of my night train. Looks good. I'm thinking now, is there any danger/harm or issues with riding without a front fender?, besides getting a little spray of water. I saw others have said about braces to put in place of where the front fender was, anyone know of where those can be found?
Look at Announcements at the top of the chat page. They have a Superbrace Softail group buy.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
J-Train
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grimm
hahaha. i've been riding fenderless since i bought my bike in '05. yeah, it throws water and rocks but i've never rolled over **** and had it thrown in my face. go for the look that you want. are these fork braces what you are looking for? i'd love to have one of these if they would fit over my 160!

grimm
Thats what I'm looking for.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
J-Train
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 95custmz
Look at Announcements at the top of the chat page. They have a Superbrace Softail group buy.
Will look. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:15 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure you'll be just fine, although this

Originally Posted by J-Train
besides getting a little spray of water.
is likely to be a gross understatement.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

I too just took my fender off... Like others said, the fender wont add rigidity to the forks. But its going to get dirtier. Did you look at the underside of your fender when you removed it, mine was filthy!!! So everything that was on it is now going to be on your engine, lower tree, headlight, etc. But who cares, it looks better that way!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Remember the first time I rode in the rain after I took the front fender off. Couldn't help but laugh at myself as I sputtered and blinked and wiped at my glasses. You learn to deal with it. Bikes look ten times more righteous without them. Adds that element of intentionally removing safety devices for no good reason that hints towards true mental instability of the rider.

Last edited by russell6hp; 05-05-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: cause I wanted to
Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
Front fenders are for guys who don't want their vaginas getting wet.
That's awesome, I now have a new comeback for "where's your front fender?"

I just contacted Licks cycles and they have a small "fender brace", they say it fits so I"m gonna order it and find out.

I really like that Martin brothers fender replacement but @ $200 I feel it's over priced. To each his own.

I think super brace is a site sponsor and I thought I saw they were having a group buy, I didn't look into it.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:28 PM
J-Train
Cruiser

Yeah I saw the group superbrace deal. It's good and all, but thats not what im looking for. I'm looking for something more along the lines of the martin bros fork brace. 200$ though

Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The front fender offers little to no support to the forks at all. The fork braces are made to make the bike handle better by not letting the forks flex near as much. Ride the bike and see how it goes. If you want a fork brace becasue you want better handeling then get it, but if you want one becasue you think your forks will flex extra with no fender then don't wast your money.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

I've also read that fork braces are just for looks on the new bikes with larger diameter down tubes, now the skinny old downtubes they used to use would flex a lot more, but with the larger diameter tubes its not much of an issue. Just another thought.

Quick Reply: Riding Fenderless