Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Fenderless

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stash905
Avoid riding in the rain, watch for dog crap and other stuff in the road that will get thrown up in your face. Get the hint? Leave the fender on.
hahaha. i've been riding fenderless since i bought my bike in '05. yeah, it throws water and rocks but i've never rolled over **** and had it thrown in my face. go for the look that you want. are these fork braces what you are looking for? i'd love to have one of these if they would fit over my 160!

grimm

Attached Thumbnails Riding Fenderless-martinbrosforkbrace.jpg   Riding Fenderless-front_fork_brace_chrome_onbike.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
dragpipe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the front fender doesnt add any rigidity to the forks. its a sales gimic to get yer money.
the bottom of the forks are bolted to the wheel, and the top is bolted to the trees.
the amount of flex that would be required to twist the forks is so great, yer fender wouldnt even be a factor. it would twist long before your forks would.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dragpipe
the front fender doesnt add any rigidity to the forks. its a sales gimic to get yer money.
the bottom of the forks are bolted to the wheel, and the top is bolted to the trees.
the amount of flex that would be required to twist the forks is so great, yer fender wouldnt even be a factor. it would twist long before your forks would.
Buddy of mine has an '01 Train and has been fenderless for several years now. I feel pretty confident in saying that if he were feeling a wobble, be it in the CO mountains or the city, that the fender would have been put back on long ago.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it were my bike I'd put a fork brace on it !!!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 PM
rlggray
Tourer

I took the fender off mine a couple days after I bought it in 07. I just try not to ride in the rain alot. I am planning on getting a SuperBrace in the near future. Supposed to add stability and reduce speed wobbles. Costs about a hundred and fifty bucks.

Attached Thumbnails Riding Fenderless-dsc00006.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,275 Likes on 479 Posts

If the water on the road is hitting you it's only because you're not riding fast enough!

Ride it; don't worry about it. Putting a brace on a Train is for looks 'cause with that li'l skinny front tire you ain't gonna get someplace where the rigidity of the front end matters; your tire will lose traction long before!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:20 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I've never felt any flex at all riding my bike (89 Softail, no front fender). It's been that way for I think 3 years now. I really don't think a fender brace is needed. And as far as riding in the rain, F-it!!!! you get wet anyway, what's the difference? As far as dogsh!t????? I don't know about you, I ride my bike around on the street not in my backyard.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

In WI you can get pulled over for no front fender.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
In WI you can get pulled over for no front fender.
Got a link to a law? Not that I don't believe ya, but I live in WI and ran with one for a couple months last summer. Never had any trouble even after run in with the local PD for speeding.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front fenders are for guys who don't want their vaginas getting wet.

Quick Reply: Riding Fenderless