Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tragic loss last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,684 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Well it's not the Mistress but it might make a good start ...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...725005631.html

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Well it's not the Mistress but it might make a good start ...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...725005631.html
thanks for the suggestion, unfortunatly shipping a whole bike up here would cost more then the bikes worth then duties on it and taxes, on top of that yikes. LOL i been looking around at other bikes for sale here in NS and in NB to get a better idea of replacment costs, as well as the local market i can get to anywhere in NS and most of NB to pick one up relativly easily if i do end up gettign a complete bike to replace it. but liek i said earlier i havent talked to the indy yet so i have no clue as t ohow i will be moving forward yet, i'll know thursday though we are meeting to discuss and take some pictures of the damages.

to the poster who suggest the structral integrity issues with prolonged exposure to fire, very valid point and one of the main things i am looking for when i get there thursday and not so much on the frame as i am on the aluminum engine cases/components since the title is attached to the engine cases and not the frame. aluminum has a much lower moleculer altering temprature range then steel

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bike lose

Dennis, get that paypal account up and running. I bet this forum family can have you up and running before you know it.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing I would want to know is what caused the fire and if arson is involved or not, someone could have been pissed at the indy and torched him, if caught they would be liable, just a thought. Some pics would for sure tell the story if the bike is rebuild able or not that would be my first thing to do, hell I'd done been to that shop to see my bike, you should contact one of our members who rebuilt a completely burnt bike and did a marvelous job with it, one would have thought it couldn't be done, but his burnt chopper is awesome now. PM me and I'll give you the info. Never mind here is his profile, look at his chopper, it was completely burnt up at one time.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/members/1624-jb.html

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dennis, I don't know about the duties or taxes for importing it, so I have to ask if you could find someone to gift it to you, would it make a difference? Not saying anyone is gonna buy a bike for you but I know lots of people here in the USA would try to help you get it across the border if needed, catch my drift.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John TN
First thing I would want to know is what caused the fire and if arson is involved or not, someone could have been pissed at the indy and torched him, if caught they would be liable, just a thought. Some pics would for sure tell the story if the bike is rebuild able or not that would be my first thing to do, hell I'd done been to that shop to see my bike, you should contact one of our members who rebuilt a completely burnt bike and did a marvelous job with it, one would have thought it couldn't be done, but his burnt chopper is awesome now. PM me and I'll give you the info. Never mind here is his profile, look at his chopper, it was completely burnt up at one time.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/members/1624-jb.html
thats one of the reasons why i havent done no decision making yet, i still need to asses the actual damages to the bike, but i will take a look at the thread, liek i mentioned i am very leary of the metal integrity in mine now as the biek was in the heart of the fire for about 3 hours by the time the fire dept could get into it, then them blastign it with water not a metelurgist but i know when you superheat aluminum and then drop it in a puddle it fractures
Originally Posted by dope_man_21
Dennis, I don't know about the duties or taxes for importing it, so I have to ask if you could find someone to gift it to you, would it make a difference? Not saying anyone is gonna buy a bike for you but I know lots of people here in the USA would try to help you get it across the border if needed, catch my drift.
i gotcha

Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! this has to be stinking big time! At least you can say your bike is real hot... Sorry for what you are about to go through...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

This sucks for you, the shop and everyone else who had a bike there. Even if insurance covers your financial loss, there's no amount of money that could get you back what you lost. You had a lot of yourself into that bike.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Man that does suck big time. Haven't been on for awhile but John TN got ahold of me and told me happened and got right over here. Had a buddy of my dump his stock 87 Softail when he went down he lost the carb it started spit-in gas all over, add a few sparks and do you ever get a hell of camp fire well I ended up with it heres two pic's of it one after the last time he rode it and then after I finished it.

Pretty much the only things saved after the fire was the frame and engine cases didn't have much cash so I spent a lot of time at swap meets and fabricating parts and the used parts are off everything from a 80 Shovel to a 93 FX Springer. The only big problem I had with the build was it took me a couple years to collect the parts. ( lack of cash can really slow things down) Have got to say have never had any problems with it, and rode it solid for the 4 years and around 25,ooo miles after I finished it till I got my 05 Springer Classic. Don't ride it as much now but will say its one bike I will never let go.

Quick Reply: Tragic loss last night