General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biker gang shootout

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:52 PM
LT753
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: biker gang shootout

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

My position is that I've had encounters with both, and I've never had a 1%'er treat me with anything other than courtesy and respect. Can't say that for some cops I've met.

But mainly, I wanted to point out that stereotypes aren't a good thing and I'm not big on the "holier than thou" attitude.

I will agree with you that stereotyping is not cool. So, with that in mind I understand where you are coming from.

Lynn

Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

ORIGINAL: atomic

When did the term LEO come around? It is annoying. Use police officer or cop. If you are embarrased as to what your job is than get a different one don't use a stupid acronymn that nobody knows what it means.
Sorry you're annnoyed.

No, actually I could give a crap if you're annoyed.

It stands for Law Enforcement Officer.

I am sure you knew that, but like the shooting victims, you just have to keep stirrin the pot.
Actually never heard of the term before I started reading this message board. Sort of figured it out after about the 20th time I read it. I having nothing against police officers ... Just don't understand why you cant type out what you want to say.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 PM
jape
Novice

I'm 'almost' a Sturgis local - Rapid City resident. ( new to the forum - so take it easy on me! )

For some reason this year there were rumors starting over 6 months ago about increased biker gang activity & attendance at this years rally.
The biggest talk in the weeks before the rally was that there was an incident involving some Hells Angels & a rival gang that happened about 4-6 weeks before Sturgis - supposedly the HA guys made it 'known' that they were going to get even during the Sturgis Rally.

** DISCLAIMER ** I have no fact whatsoever to base this one - here's my point - why would an average joe like me hear things like this?? I can only assume there is a reason for the increase in 'talk' regarding gang activity? I'm not sure what happened or why this was the case, this year more than in the past - but I was hearing more talk about gangs this year than ever? It's not like I'm 'connected' or even 'know someone who...'

Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're a LEO, you just made the point of my earlier post beautifully.

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

When did the term LEO come around? It is annoying. Use police officer or cop. If you are embarrased as to what your job is than get a different one don't use a stupid acronymn that nobody knows what it means.
Sorry you're annnoyed.

No, actually I could give a crap if you're annoyed.

It stands for Law Enforcement Officer.

I am sure you knew that, but like the shooting victims, you just have to keep stirrin the pot.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:15 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was there all week of the rally and saw Hell's Angels 3 different times,seemed to be all in the same area,only saw the Outlaws on the road,to and from Sturgis,but not in town,mostly I saw,Sons of Silence.Until the rights to the "Shoot Out At Sturgis" comes out in book form,or when it comes out on DVD we wont know what really happened and the reason behind it.I was never in fear of my life when I was around them,they were all very polite.give them respect,they give it back,the way I see it

Old 08-13-2006, 11:15 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're a LEO, you just made the point of my earlier post beautifully.

Why Thank You !!!

Everybody has ran across the LEO/Cop/Pig, (choose your term of endearment), that is all wrapped up in himself. The guy that is large and in charge, and wants to make sure that you know it.

For ME, that Cop lives in Falls City, Ne. Nailed me in March for speeding. Did I deserve a ticket? Probably so. But, according to him, the only reason he wrote me was cuz I was a cop. And honestly, I would not have much bad to say about him (aside the professional lack of courtesy), but after writing me, he called my Lieutenant, to make sure my agency knew I was stopped.

And just to clarify my somewhat smart-assed response earlier. It's not a stupid acronym. It's an abbreviation!!

Old 08-13-2006, 11:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

But mainly, I wanted to point out that stereotypes aren't a good thing and I'm not big on the "holier than thou" attitude.
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. That's not stereotyping, that's calling a duck a duck. If it looks, and acts, and assaults like a dangerous gang member, then it is probably a dangerous gang member.

As far as "Holier than thou", here's a thought. I have never been arrested for a violent crime, I have never been in jail, I have never shot people just because my "people" don't get along with their "people", or because my president told me to, and I have never been involved in an organization that demanded my loyalty even if it meant violating the law and other people's rights. I have also never stolen another man's ride or peddled Meth. If that makes me "Holier than thou", then I guess I am.

As far as the cop references, I was one for 20 years, and it always seemed to me that our worst was better than their best.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-13-2006, 11:26 PM
ronster
Road Master

i'll just stay away from all those guy's and their patches

Old 08-13-2006, 11:42 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The term has been around for a long time. The fact that you have never heard it and are annoyed by it doesn't deminish it in any way.

As far as it being used because the people using it are embarrassed about their chosen profession, that is a pretty ridiculous assumption. You must really be hard up for something to nit-pick.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to stop beating the horse because I think we agree. But I have a good friend who is an HA, and he has never been arrested, been in jail, etc etc either. And if you were a cop for 20 years I assume you worked for some sort of government organization, so I'd go easy on bragging on the squeaky clean ethics of my employer!

If it's not fair to hold you responsible for the sins of your brothers in blue...maybe it's not fair to hold all the HA's responsible for the sins of some of their brothers in red & white. Let's apply the benchmark equally.

ORIGINAL: billnourse

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. That's not stereotyping, that's calling a duck a duck. If it looks, and acts, and assaults like a dangerous gang member, then it is probably a dangerous gang member.

As far as "Holier than thou", here's a thought. I have never been arrested for a violent crime, I have never been in jail, I have never shot people just because my "people" don't get along with their "people", or because my president told me to, and I have never been involved in an organization that demanded my loyalty even if it meant violating the law and other people's rights. I have also never stolen another man's ride or peddled Meth. If that makes me "Holier than thou", then I guess I am.

As far as the cop references, I was one for 20 years, and it always seemed to me that our worst was better than their best.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: biker gang shootout