General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Cryo-Man
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?

The Harley Dealership I got my bike from looks like a Big Castle. Yes, it is very impressive! Then I noticed that all the new Dealerships seem to be Fancy multi- million dollar Theme Buildings trying to out do the next dealership! I know that Harley has guidelines for New Dealerships, but whats wrong with a nice Morton Building? Then maybe they could pass the savings down to the customer. Just a Thought.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM
sunrise rider
Cruiser

Yea, your right. The stealer where I bought my bike is old as dirt, but everything is marked up .99 over retail. All for the mighty dollar.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've been that way for quite a while now. Was a good idea when times were good, but now they're stuck with a lot of overhead to pay for.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 905 Posts

A little late now. The solution, close marginal dealerships, which HD is doing, to steer more business to stable dealerships to support the BIG buildings. The weak get tossed & the strong get stronger.

Last edited by golfblues; 05-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
2K1FLHPI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently while in another city, I visited a HD dealership that I had never been to. Given its area of the city, I was expecting a dirtier style of shop. I was disappointed to find the interior was more than half clothing displays, all of six bikes to consider, a section of bike chrome accessories, and a small service desk in the back. There were three clothes sales girls and only one motorcycle salesman. Now this was in a city that has a far higher motorcyclist population than my home.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Weed's Ironscoot
Cruiser

When I rode my ol' Ironhead into the fancy dealer in this area I thought they were gonna slam the doors shut and lock me out. With their gay assed salesman that didn't know what a shovelhead was.....**** on 'em. I won't be spending any of my money there.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:08 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about marketing and volumes - you see it in all types of retail from car dealers to grocery stores. It's very unusual to see high volumes sold through simple, old style retail outlets. While many of us don't have a lot of use for the modern retail outlet with few knowledgeable employees, most customers don't know the difference.

So MoCo would prefer a "big box" dealer that will move higher volumes of bikes, accessories and clothes as opposed to the possibly more knowledgeable corner shop. Just the way the world is today.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the old school feel when going to a dealer, but I also like a nice huge building as well. It's all in what you like to see I guess.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Weed's Ironscoot
When I rode my ol' Ironhead into the fancy dealer in this area I thought they were gonna slam the doors shut and lock me out. With their gay assed salesman that didn't know what a shovelhead was.....**** on 'em. I won't be spending any of my money there.
that's funny.

most car salesmen can't even spell F O R D, much less know anything about them. forget asking about the different types of Mustangs. all they can do is get a brochure, if one is available. car & bike salesmen are only one step above "WOULD YOU LIKE FRIES WITH THAT??"

Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
JonV
Tourer

I've been trying to find a simple shift lever for three weeks, but I can buy 40 different kinds of Leather jackets, 150 kinds of shirts, dozens of pair of footwear etc. It's now like going to a clothing store that sells motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?