General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 487 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Ya know...it cracks my *** up to read all the comments from guys that never buy new...never take their bike to a dealer for work...never buy t-shirts...never blah blah blah...and then, **** 'n moan about Harley somehow betraying them by chasing the dollar with these big new shops. Hell, they had to do something...you weren't spending any money there.
+1 sorry world, ain't it?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the ones without "under roof" parking for bikes. Other than that, not much different one to another.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of building a big castle my favorite dealer built a campus of satellite buildings around their original building so it still looks like a small dealer, but has all the warehouse space and service facilities that the other dealers have. There is no espresso bar or anything. There is still a plain old drip coffee maker in the corner.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM
eisterd
Road Captain

the first harley dealer I ever went in was an old 2 wide 4 deep garage converted to a store in the middle of nowhere. Things sure have changed

Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 AM
hivoltg
Tourer

Our new one has an HD water tower next to it! They have a damn water tower and a stage for a band, but no reserved motorcycle only parking area. WTF??

Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I love the dealers that have HD leather furniture, my OL bought a new handbag from a dealer in LV and it wasn't even HD branded..they are selling all kind of chit...even HD branded Cat Nip...

Its not about the bikes...its the life style they are flogging.
uh, back in the day, it wasn't actually "catnip" either...

as for the lifestyle, check out the barely used bikes for sale bought by people who were more attracted to the branding than actually riding. catering to them just makes sense. they aren't going to wear out any tires, so sell em some branded chrome beef jerky, or a couch or something. thats "bitness".

might as well just start selling hd branded pickup truck, thats what most people are going to ride around in anyway... oh, wait, they do.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is one Harley dealer in Paris (where I come from) and i've never been to such a bad dealer. Yes it is Paris so it got to be fancy, but the people there were so rude. I went there the first time when I was 18 maybe they didn't even acknowledge I was there since I was young. And the bikes looked like nobody ever touched them.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Dealers where forced to build the new big stores or they would franchise someone else it's force some to go out of business when they don't sell enough $30 hats and $60 shirts.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I don't really pay attention to it honestly. It may mean something to others. If it does and brings them business then let um do it. I think that it does to my g/f.

I am more about service and integrity. That is what brings me in to a particular dealer. I don't buy logo-ware so the retail side doesn't mean squat to me. The only stuff I have was either thrown in on the bike or given to me as gifts from family.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
Dealers where forced to build the new big stores or they would franchise someone else it's force some to go out of business when they don't sell enough $30 hats and $60 shirts.

But they are going to build a huge complex down at Panama City Beach this fall makes you wonder how it impact Dothan and Ft. Walton Beach HD?

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?