General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I actually prefer the new, big dealerships over the old, small ones that have been around forever. We have an old, small one near me and it's so small and cramped they don't have much stock and it's not very enjoyable to walk around and check things out. It's so small that all their bikes are out front in the parking lot and if it rains, they just sit there in the rain. I'm not interested in buying a "new" bike that has sat out in the rain countless times.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:29 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I feel for all of ya'll that have these sucky dealers. Our local shop, Smoky Mountain H-D, is fulla good people that have very good knowledge of the bikes and the business...and, they treat ya fair. I've seen 'em bend over backwards to help get broke down riders back out on their way. Sure, it's a big ole store, but it's making 'em money, and like I said, they're doing it without sacrificing service. For all ya'll that slam H-D for chasing after the "almighty dollar"...what the hell did ya think they went into business for anyways? Ya know...it cracks my *** up to read all the comments from guys that never buy new...never take their bike to a dealer for work...never buy t-shirts...never blah blah blah...and then, **** 'n moan about Harley somehow betraying them by chasing the dollar with these big new shops. Hell, they had to do something...you weren't spending any money there.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Hunter2678
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Man, I feel for all of ya'll that have these sucky dealers. Our local shop, Smoky Mountain H-D, is fulla good people that have very good knowledge of the bikes and the business...and, they treat ya fair. I've seen 'em bend over backwards to help get broke down riders back out on their way. Sure, it's a big ole store, but it's making 'em money, and like I said, they're doing it without sacrificing service. For all ya'll that slam H-D for chasing after the "almighty dollar"...what the hell did ya think they went into business for anyways? Ya know...it cracks my *** up to read all the comments from guys that never buy new...never take their bike to a dealer for work...never buy t-shirts...never blah blah blah...and then, **** 'n moan about Harley somehow betraying them by chasing the dollar with these big new shops. Hell, they had to do something...you weren't spending any money there.
Dood if I could buy you a beer I would.. (1 per/hr of course)....seems we're on the same page regarding alot of things..

Hell just about every major and successful American Co. has given themselves a retail makeover during this past decade...look at McDonalds, Burger King, Meijers, Wal-Mart, Pepsi,etc.....everything is done to create revenue at the end of the day. If you dont like it you dont have to buy it or buy into it.....simple as that.

Last edited by Hunter2678; 05-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
ROCKER"D"
Tourer

Originally Posted by JonV
I've been trying to find a simple shift lever for three weeks, but I can buy 40 different kinds of Leather jackets, 150 kinds of shirts, dozens of pair of footwear etc. It's now like going to a clothing store that sells motorcycles.
+1 on that...=0)..my dealer has 6 clothing girls..I **** u not..70 percent of the store is clothing and boots...The parts guys dont know **** if it aint in the parts book it wont work.....The 1 to 2 salesman are always on lunch but if you want a extra large t shirt your in luck...Would u like some new boots with that...=0)

Old 05-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Route66rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pretty much went through the bigger is better mindset with Ford Tractor Operations a number of years ago. Their (FTO) idea was that the farmer gould afford to drive 75 to get parts and service so they said no dealership closer than 125 miles to the next one. Goodby mom & pop style dealerships. Of course if I wanted to build a new multi-million dollar facility on the new bypass they would discuss options. I did get the last laugh as I was operating on a agreement signed by Mr. Henry himself that stated Ford was obligated to buy back all parts and rolling inventory....

Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
They've been that way for quite a while now. Was a good idea when times were good, but now they're stuck with a lot of overhead to pay for.
Exactly.

Several years ago I questioned why so many dealers were constructing super-sized buildings. Did they think the sales bubble was going to last forever? Today, it appears that the ones who remained in normal size facilities and didn't price gouge are doing the best. Customers have long memories, ya know.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TequilaJohn
Damn TJ can't say it any better than that...

Plus....my wife drags me to HD stores all over the south while on rides. She buys "stuff" and I get to talk bikes with other customers and staff. It's win-win.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the dealers that have HD leather furniture, my OL bought a new handbag from a dealer in LV and it wasn't even HD branded..they are selling all kind of chit...even HD branded Cat Nip...

Its not about the bikes...its the life style they are flogging.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,040 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Yeah, what's up with those greedy dealers trying to make a profit and support their family and all that. Don't they know they should just be in business for the fun of it?

Old 05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Can't say as I wouldn't buy a big leather HD chair and ottoman..looks good to me!

My HD dealership moved into a "castle" a few years ago, but are still as helpful as ever. If anything, I think they work harder to get customers into a Harley. Without negotiating, I'm always quoted under MSRP...whereas some dealerships won't even negotiate TO MSRP!

Quick Reply: Are Harley Dealerships Getting To Fancy?